View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Doggydina
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-12-2006, 09:13 AM

Back to basics with two 'teenage' dogs !

Hi all !

Just wondering really if anyone has any helpful tips for me.

I have a 1 year old male staffie (Sammie) and a 16 month old female staffie cross (Angel). They are both rescue dogs, and are generally very good, but i didn't have a clean slate to start with, if you know what i mean. I had Angel 1st and been doing her training and she was getting on fine. Recall wasn't perfect but we were getting there. Then Sammie came along, and whereas his recall was good Angel's started to slip, now I feel it's pretty much non existant. And gradually Sammie's is going down the drain too. They very rarely come back on 1st call and if therer is another dog about then i have no chance unless I shout very harshly (which i do not want to get into) and even then they look as if they're still thinking about it .

I think it may be a combination of them coming into 'teenage' years and seeing each disobey and thinking it's ok.

So basically I want to take them both back to basics. I'm going to get a long line to work on recall, and going to try a halti (as they still try lung at other dogs whilst on lead). Any tips on using these?

Going to take them out for training seperatly, how long should I take them out for at a time and how regularly? Was thinking between 15-30mins each a day, is that enough?

I have a clicker, but never really go into using, not sure I was doing it right, even though Angel did seem to take to it?

Thanks in advance for any help you give me.

Lis x
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2006, 10:40 AM
I agree you should go back to basics, I was reading through my Dobie book last night again and it did warn me that about the ages your dogs are now I will be expecting another sulky pushing the boundaries atage and the only thing to do it re-inforce rules, lots of training and ploughing through it!

I would thitnk a half hour walk and then a half hour training session shoud be sufficent during this time. There is a good article on here about clicker training, and it ay be very effectiev to your dogs as a different way of training, but due to your breed they will need a good balance of positive and negative training.

Hope all goes well
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-12-2006, 11:09 AM
Hi Doggydina I can't comment on the halti, I have never used one.

I would keep the training sessions short, this stops the dog becoming bored and inattentive,you can't really put a time on it because dogs vary in their concentration from day to day but I would say about 15 minutes per training session and two sessions a day (also remembering you have two to train). Always end on a positive note when the dog is enjoying it.

This is an article on Clicker training by Alison, one of our members.
http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=11324

also two of Shadowboxer's training articles you may find useful

http://www.dogsey.com/dog-articles.php?t=14526

http://www.dogsey.com/dog-articles.php?t=8049
Tania
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-12-2006, 01:52 AM
I'm in the process of recall with my 6 month old (not off lead just yet, but on long lead - except at the park with the other dogs).

The tools I use are - bend down low and call him in an excited voice and he comes racing, we have a bit of a play and fun.

A training aid I've been using is the spray collar. Doesn't hurt him and is safe, particularly for distance stuff. he doesn't associate it with me. On it there are 2 levels - 1 short and 1 long, there is also a 'double beep' which I use (was on clicker, but not too good at a distance).

The principle is that the spray distracts them long enough to stop whatever they were going after. If they come towards you, you can beep to let them know they are doing the right thing and come to you (because the beeping, like the clicker means they are good and will get a game or some food when they reach you).

It's also good for stopping them in time when doing something dangerous or bad - without thinking you are a spoilsport. They learn pretty quickly. They know the beep is a good thing. For example, my pup used to hassle the cats (although, I think they can take care of themselves, I didn't want him chasing other cats). So I hid and when he jumped up at the kitchen counter after the cats he got 'sprayed' (it's actually the noise which suprises him). When he was being gentle I'd go in, beep and reward. Did it a few times and he's fine. Even went to my brother's and he had a 6 week old kitten and Lupi was very good and gentle

might be worth trying.