Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
shaza
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2006, 04:20 PM

Chewing his hair

Hope this is the right place to post this. I have had Ozzie for a little over a year now. Before he came to me, he was chewing his hair - its quite long - he sucks a chunk and keeps at it till it comes out. Although he doesn't do it as often now {think it became a habit}.

On another posting on here it was suggested that I put geranium oil on the area to stop him, has anyone else on here heard of this remedy? or any other suggestions would be appreciated - as he does look a bit moth eaten at times
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-12-2006, 04:54 PM
Originally Posted by shaza View Post
Hope this is the right place to post this. I have had Ozzie for a little over a year now. Before he came to me, he was chewing his hair - its quite long - he sucks a chunk and keeps at it till it comes out. Although he doesn't do it as often now {think it became a habit}.

On another posting on here it was suggested that I put geranium oil on the area to stop him, has anyone else on here heard of this remedy? or any other suggestions would be appreciated - as he does look a bit moth eaten at times
Hi Shaza chewing the coat can begin through boredom that turns into habit . I don't think putting things on the coat will really help much, we had a Cairn and it used to chew the Schnauzers beards

Coat chewing can also be related to OCD in some breeds .

I think the best thing is to distract Ozzie if you see him doing it and to make sure he has plenty of 'safe' toys to chew and things to stimulate his mind (walks/games/toys).
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2006, 05:08 PM
Hi Shaza,
I don't know if this will be of any help but the English Setters can have itchy skin and a lot of people have used something called bitter apple. I've, fortunately, never had the need to try it but it apparently tastes a bit like the stuff you use to stop you biting your nails. So, although it wouldn't cure his skin if there was an infection or something, if it is just habit it may put a stop to it.
shaza
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2006, 06:32 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Shaza chewing the coat can begin through boredom that turns into habit . I don't think putting things on the coat will really help much, we had a Cairn and it used to chew the Schnauzers beards

Coat chewing can also be related to OCD in some breeds .

I think the best thing is to distract Ozzie if you see him doing it and to make sure he has plenty of 'safe' toys to chew and things to stimulate his mind (walks/games/toys).
Thanks, it probably did start with boredom, as before I got him he spent the first 6 months of his life in a garage with the run of a yard, had never been out let alone on a lead. But I think it turned into a habit.

He has loads of toys, Kongs, balls, nylabones, nylarings though does tend to prefer a stone he found in the garden. Gets two walks a day road walking in morning and the beach off lead in the afternoon.

Hope you don't think I'm thick - but what is OCD?
shaza
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2006, 06:34 PM
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
Hi Shaza,
I don't know if this will be of any help but the English Setters can have itchy skin and a lot of people have used something called bitter apple. I've, fortunately, never had the need to try it but it apparently tastes a bit like the stuff you use to stop you biting your nails. So, although it wouldn't cure his skin if there was an infection or something, if it is just habit it may put a stop to it.
Would I find this in a pet shop?
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2006, 09:40 AM
Would I find this in a pet shop?
Hi Shaza,
Sorry for the delay in replying. I haven't seen it in our local pet shops but have definately seen it at dog shows. We do have a big pet food suppliers in the next village and I'm pretty sure they stock it. If you can't find it let me know and I will see if I can find suppliers this end that can get it to you or, if you want I'm happy to find out the price this end and post some to you. (I don't think it was very expensive)
Sheree x
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran

07-12-2006, 10:22 AM

Hope you don't think I'm thick - but what is OCD?
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.
Meg
Supervisor

07-12-2006, 11:30 AM
Originally Posted by Roxy View Post
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.
Thank you Roxy I missed that...

Shaza ,here is some information about OCD and psychogenic alopecia (pulling hair out)

click here