Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
teenytiny
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-12-2006, 03:06 PM

limping :(

My husband took Georgie out for his daytime walk today. He took him over the fields. When they got back, Georgie seemed the same as ever...had his huge drink and then went straight to his bed for a sleep. He does this everyday after his walks.

Georgie got up a few hours later, and I noticed he was limping on 1 side. Not sure if its his front or back leg as its hard to tell.

Ive checked his paws to see if hes trodden on something or hes cut his pad etc....but nothing.

Georgie has never been like this before. Hes gone back to sleep now, but thats not unusual for him. I dont know what to do.

Do I leave him and see how he goes, or take him to vets tomorrow? He doesnt appear to be in any pain, just a very slight limp.
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-12-2006, 03:14 PM
He may have sprained one of his legs running around and it only became noticable to him after resting.Normally 24hrs of rest is enough for them to recuperate from minor ailments so try to keep him from running around.

If it gets worse or no better by tommorrow-i would pop him along to the vet and get him checked incase he needs anti-inflamatories.
teenytiny
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-12-2006, 03:27 PM
Mmmm, I thought it could be a sprain or a pulled muscle.

Mind you in my other thread, it seems I could be walking him too much so maybe it could be that.
welsh sue
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-12-2006, 12:40 AM
just been through this with charlie, he damaged a ligament in his back leg, and has to rest it for two weeks and he also has to take glyco flex to help repair it. so my advice is if it doesnt seem to be getting better take a trip to the vets
Tania
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-12-2006, 02:36 AM
I found just a tiny thing in Lupi's paw - looked like a seed or something - but it was making him limp. Once I got it out he seemed better (could have been a grass seed possibly). At first I was worried as I'd let my brother walk him for 2 x 40 minutes (with a rest at 20 mins though) and he'd over done it. Very glad I searched through his toes though.

Our other dog Charlie ripped a nail (probably digging), poor little thing it was hanging sideways and as soon as it was caught/touched he was wimpering. Wouldn't let us go near it without screaming so rang the vet to take him in - when he got in my hubbies car we realised it was gone and he's been fine since, bit tender for a day or two.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2006, 02:46 PM
Keep an eye on him, hopefully it is just that seed that caused his limping but if it happens again check it out at the vets just to be sure.
Heldengebroed
Dogsey Senior
Male 

11-12-2006, 03:09 PM
An indication of the injurred place is heat. Often injuries come with some sort of infection which causes the spot to become warm. By feeling everywhere you can often determin where he's injured

Greetings

Johan
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2006, 03:14 PM
This is so weird, only this morning as the dogs came back in from the paddock I noticed that Alfie, (Irish Setter) was lame on his front foot and he held it up to let me know too.

I've checked it thoroughly and can see no cuts to the pads or damage to the nails so I'm assuming he has skidded on the mud out there and twisted it.

Its not bad enough that its stopped him going out again this afternoon but it must be uncomfortable for him to be holding it up. I was planning on keeping an eye on it and then vets tomorrow if its no better.

Could your lad have slipped on his walk, as its so wet everywhere?
teenytiny
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-12-2006, 06:28 PM
Possibly. My husband said he thinks he slipped on a plank of wood that they had to walk over. Maybe it caused him to pull a muscle or something. He's fine now....there's no stop in him!