Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

29-11-2006, 04:27 PM

Used the halti.(Update)

What a nightmare must of been expecting too much,I remember Max walking so well on it but that was 5 years ago and have probably forgotten the struggle with him.
Had problems getting it on won that fight,but walking was a nightmare in the end I took it off and put his lead on his collar and walked him as he got himself into such a frenzy.
I will put it on for a few minutes at a time indoors then gently start walking him in the garden till he gets use to it,if he ever does.
We are both now cream crackered.
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2006, 10:44 AM
This is something I have been debateing about in my own mind, whether or not to use the halti with Inka and Kain, they both walk no problem, though when another dog comes on the scene they do pull and they are big dogs so control is basically out the window till the dog passes, they are very social and think all dogs are the same...I've been looking at the dogmatic halti, guaranteed not to ride or slip on to the eyes, not sure what to do...I know I'm probably better starting off this while they are young, what do you think ? is the pulling just imaturity ? any advise would be much appreciated...
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

01-12-2006, 02:45 PM
I decided not to carry on with it as it upset Ollie so much and he is only 5 months old so young ebnough to get used to it I suppose.I decided to carry on with the comfy collar,nice padded collar and a very small check chain but when he pulls he doesn't hurt his neck no more than an ordinary collar would,I also bought a shock absorber and that has really helped.Also keep cheese in my pocket and when he walks nicely tell him nicely and reward.He isn't any worse and no better but i will just persevere.My other dog used to walk so well on his halti and din't mind it one little bit after the initial fight.
awleics
New Member!
Female 

03-12-2006, 04:54 PM
I use a 'Gentle Leader' head collar on my Northern Inuit. He's very big and strong, but seems to tolerate this better than he did a Halti. Its less easy to get off and he doesn't claw at it like he did with the Halti.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

03-12-2006, 06:25 PM
I have one of those also,may give it a try but he is doing quite well with his comfort collar and am thinking of buying a walkeze harness for training him to heel.Did put the gentle leader on indoors for a few minutes today and let him walk around with it on after a minute or so he was trying to get it off.
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2006, 09:47 AM
We just couldn't get on with any of the head collars with Cassie, she just doesn't like anything on her face and don't believe she would ever get used to it. We had the same nightmare walks as you experienced.
We've gone back to turning and walking the other way when she pulls and it's the ONLY thing that has worked in 2 years
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

04-12-2006, 09:58 AM
I'm not convinced Ollie will get on with any of the head collars,so am not going to push it,he is doing a lot better and like you WH I stop and turn etc., and he seems to be getting the message,he is still only a baby but a big one.
bint
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-12-2006, 11:28 AM
I started using a headcollar when my dog became very nervy around busy traffic after a firework scare. I felt as if I had more control of him & so was more relaxed. However on a normal collar & lead he pulls much worse now & I've had to go right back to basics again. I think headcollars definately have their place but once you start to rely on one it's difficult to manage again without it.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

04-12-2006, 12:01 PM
I used Haltis on mine and they destroyed them in 10 seconds flat. Sent off for the dogmatics and apparently they can't deliver the leather ones for ages, so settled for the next option down. It is hard to control these dogs when they see a cat or anything that excites them, but the dogmatics do work on them and I am in control again.
bint
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-12-2006, 12:05 PM
Agree with you tawneywolf about the dogmatic being better than the halti. I have the leather one & it feels quite substantial but our ute hates it & hides his head under his front paws when he see's me with it
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >