Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2006, 03:26 PM

RETRACTABLE DOG LEAD banned in Austraila

Retractable dog leads have been banned in aus ater a 10 year old girl lost the sight in one eye.
she was blinded in her left eye when her lead snapped back and hit her whilst walking her dog.
The ACCC banned the lead last week.

OMG the poor girl, I dont use them but never considerd them a danger to use on small dogs,
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-11-2006, 03:28 PM
Of course I sympathise for the girl and the situation, but banning the leash based on one rogue incident? Surely, there must be more to the ban than that?
maebme
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2006, 03:34 PM
Poor wee girl, how awful!
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2006, 03:34 PM
it says a consumer group conducted tests on the lead and alerted the accc which banned the lead. Im not sure if it is just this brand of lead or all retractable leads, may just be the maker of this brand, the report is in dog world nov 17th issue.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2006, 03:41 PM
This is exactly why I don't use them on my big dogs. I had an incident where it nearly chopped my finger off and it snapped back really hard, really hurt my hand etc...This was when my boy was 6 months old and no where near his size now. I was already using the biggest / strongest retractable available. I haven't used one since that day.
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

21-11-2006, 03:47 PM
Originally Posted by myschievous View Post
This is exactly why I don't use them on my big dogs. I had an incident where it nearly chopped my finger off and it snapped back really hard, really hurt my hand etc...This was when my boy was 6 months old and no where near his size now. I was already using the biggest / strongest retractable available. I haven't used one since that day.

Have to say I agree with you I have a friend who many years ago lost an eye because of one of these retractable leads.
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2006, 03:47 PM
Good! I think they should be banned here to, my neighbour had a tendon ripped out of his calf muscle by one ,and our one made my OH's ankle bleed. They are a danger and a lot of reasons why people have pully dogs. We've already banned ours
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-11-2006, 03:48 PM
Originally Posted by dougiepit View Post
it says a consumer group conducted tests on the lead and alerted the accc which banned the lead. Im not sure if it is just this brand of lead or all retractable leads, may just be the maker of this brand, the report is in dog world nov 17th issue.
Have you got the link?
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2006, 03:54 PM
Originally Posted by lovezois View Post
Have to say I agree with you I have a friend who many years ago lost an eye because of one of these retractable leads.
Oh your poor friend, so sorry, I personaly think they are a nightmare, big and clumbsy to hold, dogs getting mangled in them and owners trying to untangle there own and often another dog that came to say hello, and my dog once ran into one that he did not see, luckily the little dog on the end wasn't hurt and the rottie never as much as broke stride as the thing snapped, but it could have been worse, if it had not snapped the little dog ( the little kcs next door who often walks with the rotts) could have broke her neck,
Bodhi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2006, 04:06 PM
Wow - I didn't realise they were so dangerous

I know it says on the instructions about safety....
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »