Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sara1210
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2006, 05:46 PM

Dog whisperer!

Does anyone know if the Dog Whisperer (Cesar Millan) has published any books?
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2006, 05:51 PM
Just did a search on Ask.com and it came up with these Sara

http://www.booksaboutmontana.com/boo...MKmontana.html
Sara1210
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2006, 06:02 PM
Brilliant, thanks Foxy

I might treat myself to one of those for christmas

Waste of time telling the OH i want one cause ill still be waiting next year
Sara1210
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2006, 06:06 PM
OMG i just read what other customers have commented and it doesnt sound good, i wonder if its the comments just for the book for the aggression, because if it is, im not too bothered as i wanted the other one.

Might just buy it and have a read anyway
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2006, 06:17 PM
Hi Sara
Some people really like him and his methods, others don't, there was a thread on here about it not long ago, may be worth trying to find it....
Sara1210
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2006, 06:18 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Hi Sara
Some people really like him and his methods, others don't, there was a thread on here about it not long ago, may be worth trying to find it....
Thanks Ramble, ill have a look and see if i can find it
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-11-2006, 09:48 PM
Hi Sara, don't know if you managed to find the thread, but this is it I think. Mixed views but if you can make it to the end I posted a couple of extracts from the book, which might give you a bit of a feel for it. (Page 11.)
http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=43740

I have Cesar's way, I enjoyed the book but it isn't a training manual as such. Let me know if there is anything specific you want to know. and you can make your mind up, it's available from amazon by the way.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2006, 08:19 AM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Hi Sara
Not wanting to start a discussion as it's all been done before, but coincidentally I was on a dog training and behaviour list this morning (American, not UK) and they were discussing him.

Many folk mentioned that on his show (not sure if he uses the same methods in his book, but presume he does) he is often bitten and the camera zooms in on his blood like, as they said, a badge of honour! . Lots of talk about insurance and watertight agreements with National Geographic...but the upshot is that the people on the list said they could tell 10-30 seconds before he was bitten that he was going to be bitten - but either CM didn't realise (!) or, he deliberately didn't stop as he felt once he started, in his eyes backing down would mean the dog had "won"

I'm only saying this as I have no idea what detail is in his book, but, if he suggests a lot of confrontation as he does on tv, I'd say watch out in case you get bitten.

I'm sure you'll make up your own mind but that's my 2 pence worth
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-11-2006, 09:49 AM
Hi Sara there was a video posted on here a little whole ago, here is the thread . It shows a delightful Pit bull who needs a bit of simple training (and is supposedly dominant ) being rolled , and how to stop a dog jumping up by using your foot .
I would not let the person on the video within ten miles of any dog of mine...http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=46145

If you want a recommendation of an easy to use basic training book using lure/reward training (ignore the 'americanese') Dr Ian Dunbars 'Good Little Dog'' book is easy to follow.
If you want something more detailed I would recommend Jean Donalson's 'The Culture Clash' .

It is good to read all you can but these two books are excellent to get you started with training your new little puppy.