Our sister sites
Our sister sites
otis
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-11-2006, 05:24 PM

cruciate ligament problem - Otis, sbt

Hi All

Just read Jackies post and i have been in exactly the same position with otis today.

I took otis out for his morning walk at 8am this morning for about an hour or so - just lead walking. Then i went to the supermarket and when i got back i couldn't entice otis from his bed - not even with a biscuit!!!

when i stood him up he arched his back and put his tail right under his body. I carried him outside for a wee but he just laid on the grass - which is unheard of for him!!!!

i examined him all over but all he wanted to do was lay down - i was so worried i called the emergency vets.

I took him straight down there and they gave him a good examination and said he had hurt his cruciate ligament.

He gave him an anti-inflamotory (sp) injection and told me to take him home and rest. if he is still bad tomorrow/tues then i am to take him back to my own vet.

Can someone explain what cruciate ligament problems are and if it is serious?

now otis will not move from his cushion and just wants cuddles. Any suggestions waht to do for the best?

jodie
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-11-2006, 05:52 PM
Hi Jodie, cruciate ligament problems can be serious, but not always.

The cruciate ligaments cross over the knee joints holding things in place. Often a twisting type of injury can damage the ligaments.

In some cases, expensive surgery is the usual option, followed by up to six months of rest, proper rest

I have an American Cocker who partially tore his cruciate ligaments. The vet did £130 worth of X rays and wanted to operate. I opted for medication and rest, to see what happened. Luckily for me he got better on this, but it took six months. Surgery costs mega bucks. Ask your vet for an estimate of costs before the operation if you end up going down this route, at least you'll know what to expect.

Is the dog insured? The bill could be between £500 and £1500. If it is the cruciate ligaments. It might not be.

Dawn R.
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-11-2006, 06:02 PM
http://www.purinaone.com/dogcare_con...leNumber=30063

This is a good link.

Dawn R.
otis
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-11-2006, 06:04 PM
hi dawn -thanks for reply. yes otis is insured thank goodness- it cost me £140 for just taking him to the emergency vets today!!!

they didnt do any xrays they just felt at his leg. do u think i need to go to my vet tomorrow to see what they say?

not sure what to do next - maybe i should just see hoe otis is tommorow. But he lloks so sorry for himself curled up on my lap. he doesnt want to be on his own in his bed - only on my lap.

jx
jackiew
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2006, 06:21 PM
am sorry to hear about Otis

yeh it does sound similar to Ambers problem

our vet said it didnt, sound serious so it can wait till tomorrow

hope Otis feels better soon