Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tillytails
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-11-2006, 12:09 PM

Good and not so good larger breeds for first-timers

My brother-in-law and his wife want a dog and are looking for the right breed. Originally they were going to get a tibetian terrier but are having second thoughts because he would prefer a bigger dog. So we were discussing possibilities given what they want:

medium-large size, about lab-sized would be ideal
minimal shedding though a high grooming requirement is not an issue
one that doesn't need lots and lots of exercise
one that is unlikely to go into water much (they live a minute from the beach so don't want to have a constantly wet dog)

They don't want a lab, retriever or a std poodle but many of the other bigger dogs are usually not recommended for first-timers (eg. GSDs, dalmations, NIs/Utes, dobies, rotties, akitas, mals). I wondered about a rough collie ?

They're going to Discover Dogs this weekend so that should help, but anyone have any suggestions on what to consider and what to rule out ? Thanks for any suggestions you can offer.
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2006, 12:10 PM
What about a greyhound?
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2006, 12:13 PM
I wouldn't have thought a rough collie was an ideal first timers dog...to be honest all the breeds they don't want are probably the ones that may be best for them...
What about a rescue dog? Would they consider that??? At least if they got a fully grwon mongrel they'd know what they were getting.
Ummmmmmmm!!!!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2006, 12:13 PM
Ahhhh good ne Dobie girl...a greyhound would be a good one...even a rescue greyhound???
mutthouse
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-11-2006, 12:14 PM
Originally Posted by tillytails View Post
My brother-in-law and his wife want a dog and are looking for the right breed. Originally they were going to get a tibetian terrier but are having second thoughts because he would prefer a bigger dog. So we were discussing possibilities given what they want:

medium-large size, about lab-sized would be ideal
minimal shedding though a high grooming requirement is not an issue
one that doesn't need lots and lots of exercise
one that is unlikely to go into water much (they live a minute from the beach so don't want to have a constantly wet dog)

They don't want a lab, retriever or a std poodle but many of the other bigger dogs are usually not recommended for first-timers (eg. GSDs, dalmations, NIs/Utes, dobies, rotties, akitas, mals). I wondered about a rough collie ?

They're going to Discover Dogs this weekend so that should help, but anyone have any suggestions on what to consider and what to rule out ? Thanks for any suggestions you can offer.
Retired racing greyhound?
Brill first time dogs require a coat and a deep bed other than that they are average eaters, minimal shedders, average exercise and real cuddle muffins. A good rehoming group will be able to find the perfect dog too with a little research on both sides
mutthouse
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-11-2006, 12:14 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Ahhhh good ne Dobie girl...a greyhound would be a good one...even a rescue greyhound???
SNAP!
great minds think alike and fools flock together
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2006, 12:20 PM
i would have said a Lab.

they dont have to walk it on the beach. not all Labs take to water. i had one that would walk around a puddle and wouldn't go out in the rain!!!!!!!!
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2006, 12:46 PM
A greyhound's what springs to mind here too, and soooo many treasures to choose from in rescues.

I feel a bit odd thinking of dogs for beginners really. I know some dogs are more demanding than others, but any new dog owner ought to seek support from others (breeder or rescue, training instructors, breed clubs, Dogsey etc...), and with the guidance available many breeds may be considered.
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2006, 12:46 PM
A greyhound sounds the best bet to me
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2006, 01:32 PM
How about an Italian Spinone?
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >