Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kyektulu
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2006, 01:31 PM

Another Ebay Nightmare!

Well,

I just thought I would warn you all as I heard something terrible last night about Ebay.

A friend of mines mother is having a Halloween party tonight and last week she went on Ebay to buy some bat/pumpkin shaped cookie cutters to make goodies for the party.

She used Pay Pal, a supposed 'safe' way of making transactions over the net, only to find out a few days later that someone has cloned her card, gone to MFI and spent THOUSANDS!

Luckily she has insurence against things like this, but it has scared me against using Ebay again, im worried too as me and my partner have bought quite a few things for our doggy over the last week before we found out about this...
Petstalk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2006, 01:53 PM
How awful, doesn't it just spoil it for everyone.

;-(

D xxxxx
SarahJ
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-10-2006, 02:00 PM
I wouldnt worry i have used paypal for years and i don't see how she can point the finger directly at paypal?

Does she use a cashpoint? does she use it in shops? theres many other sources tbh i'd be more concerned about.
Kanikula
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2006, 02:03 PM
what an awful thing to happen! although i cant see how someone can get card /bank details from paypal???

i sell on ebay and have reciveived alot of payments from paypal and i can assure you there ar NO bank details on the receipts/invoices ect! You need ALL the card details to clone a card, to me it sounds as though the card has been swiped!
Zetacharlie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2006, 02:10 PM
Originally Posted by Kanikula View Post
what an awful thing to happen! although i cant see how someone can get card /bank details from paypal???
i dont think they can. But I have read somewhere recently that it is possible to hack into Paypal and it has been done.One good thing about Paypal is that you can restrict how much money goes into your paypal account-so i agree with the previous post- not sure how actual credit card details were obtained through Paypal.
kyektulu
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2006, 02:16 PM
To be perfectly honest I dont know all the details...
I dont even know how to use PayPal, my OH does all the technical stuff, I just shop

All the lady said was that they got her details from using PayPal and the bank found this out, and of course that she was now worried sick about using the internet to pay for stuff and very relieved that she isnt being charged for this good for nothing's actions!

It dosent suprise me that people have found out how to hack into PayPal, they can hack into anything if given enough times these days cant they...
Kanikula
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2006, 02:20 PM
Originally Posted by kyektulu View Post
To be perfectly honest I dont know all the details...
I dont even know how to use PayPal, my OH does all the technical stuff, I just shop

All the lady said was that they got her details from using PayPal and the bank found this out, and of course that she was now worried sick about using the internet to pay for stuff and very relieved that she isnt being charged for this good for nothing's actions!

It dosent suprise me that people have found out how to hack into PayPal, they can hack into anything if given enough times these days cant they...
well i have to say, if that is the case, its rather concernig!! especially coming up to christmas when there will be a huge influx of online sales!!
kyektulu
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2006, 02:28 PM
Goodness Kanikula, I didnt think about that, I just hope that PayPal are working on stopping these flaming thieves!

It is such a shame as me and my OH, as were many people, were secure in the fact that PayPal would be a safe way to do online transactions...

Oh well, I suppose we will just go to the shops and pay that little bit extra for our goods.
Zetacharlie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2006, 02:33 PM
Looks like defrauding Paypal is possible- if you type into your Google search bar- paypal fraudthen you can read dozens of horror stories about paypal fraud including ones on eBay so yes it IS possible
SarahJ
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-10-2006, 04:27 PM
Majority of 'fraud' is probably gained by unsafe passwords!! the amount of people that i know that use their dogs name or childs name is unbelievable!!
And then tend to use the same password everywhere else is shocking.

You imagine a simple email as yahoo if you forget your password it asks you a reminder question say? favourite colour (i know tiscali asks that) won't take long to get into that account would it. The ask paypal for a password reminder email voila!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >