Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ray
Dogsey Senior
Male 

13-10-2006, 11:22 PM

Dog keeps getting attacked

Are some dogs disliked by other dogs for no apparent reason?

A few weeks ago, a dog over my local park got badly attacked by a GSD. So bad that there were severe facial injuries, and the dog had to be stitched up. I know this dog has been attacked previously on a couple of occassions, and even Abby snapped at it once, for no good reason. I met the owner today, and asked how his dog was, only to be told that since being attacked by the GSD, it had been attacked again by another dog, and ended up at the vets again for more stitches. (By the way, the breed is a type of small bulldog)

What I don't understand, is that this dog is so good natured and friendly, to other dogs and people, I just can't understand why this keeps happening. Although the GSD did have a bad reputation, none of the other dogs were normally dog aggressive.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2006, 11:24 PM
Originally Posted by Ray View Post
Are some dogs disliked by other dogs for no apparent reason?

A few weeks ago, a dog over my local park got badly attacked by a GSD. So bad that there were severe facial injuries, and the dog had to be stitched up. I know this dog has been attacked previously on a couple of occassions, and even Abby snapped at it once, for no good reason. I met the owner today, and asked how his dog was, only to be told that since being attacked by the GSD, it had been attacked again by another dog, and ended up at the vets again for more stitches. (By the way, the breed is a type of small bulldog)

What I don't understand, is that this dog is so good natured and friendly, to other dogs and people, I just can't understand why this keeps happening. Although the GSD did have a bad reputation, none of the other dogs were normally dog aggressive.
Just a guess, but could it be something to do with the squashed faces bulldog types have? Perhaps some dogs have trouble reading the dogs facial expression?
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2006, 11:50 PM
We had this problem with our last dog (Shar pei) and we put it down to his scowling looking face as he was not aggressive at all to anything but was attacked a few times by different dogs but then saying that Diesel, also a Shar pei gets on great with other dogs and we have had no problems (so far, quickly touches wood) so maybe it's just the dog, Diesel has a different attitude, more confident, more laid back than our last one.

Hope that doesnt confuse you any more than you already was :smt017
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2006, 11:54 PM
Since puppyhood Loki has always seemed to attract trouble. Can't come up with a reason why (other than his confident strut) but many dogs seem to want to have a pop at him, even some little breeds that you'd think would see him and think, "no way". Unfortunately I think it's made him into the "I must dominate ever dog I meet" dog that he is today.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2006, 08:24 AM
Our last pup,was a 'victim' if another dog was likely to have a go..it would...at him...despite him being totally soft and enormous. He was a black dog and we've had a thread on here before about other dogs not liking black dogs very much....
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2006, 02:25 PM
A friend of mine has a greyhound/lurcher cross who is lovely, submissive, friendly and Takara's best friend but he is always getting attacked!

It's strange because he's the only dog that Eddy really gets on with and Eddy even had a go at a dog he doesn't usually mess with when she snapped at Frank the greyhound/lurcher!
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-10-2006, 03:06 PM
Vegas sometimes attracts aggresive behaviour from others cause when he meets a dog-his posture is quite dominant with his tail high up in the air and stands there staring so they could see him as a threat (but he isnt).I do think this is why he and a particular Akita dont get along cause they're body language is so alike.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2006, 03:46 PM
I suppose it's just like us humans isn't it, some people are born to be picked on as they go through life, his face obviously doesn't fit! It would be interesting to hear if this dog is black though like Ailsa said????
Ray
Dogsey Senior
Male 

14-10-2006, 04:08 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
I suppose it's just like us humans isn't it, some people are born to be picked on as they go through life, his face obviously doesn't fit! It would be interesting to hear if this dog is black though like Ailsa said????

NO, not black, but the usual brown colour. I wondered if it could be that after a bit of exercise, he makes a rasping sound because he doesn't breathe very well.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2006, 04:10 PM
Yes, I suppose that could sound threatening to another dog maybe?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >