Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Max
New Member!
Male 

07-10-2006, 09:26 AM

Bengal Rescue

Over the course of the last few months, I've been looking into rehoming a Bengal. I've been on to a few of the rescue sites and was astounded to see that one rescue, is asking for a donation of £150. This makes it impossible for a lot of people, who may be able to offer loving homes, to make a difference to the health and welfare of this "designer" breed. I'd be interested to know other peoples thoughts on this matter.
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2006, 10:07 AM
Well I have a Brown Spotted Bengal.. and I think the £150 price tag is acceptable..
Mainly because they are a breed.. and cost much more than that to buy a kitten..
Most dog breed rescues charge around the same costs for a pedigree dog..

TO ME... A Bengal is very very worth £150 to share your life with such an interesting feisty lovable independent feline!

SOME rescues charge that for crossbreed dogs and I would think if you can't afford the £150 for the cat in the first place maybe its not a good idea to get one.. as the vet charges for any incidents will most likely be higher than that
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2006, 12:33 PM
I can see the OP's point of view. If the OP wanted to spend £150 on a cat they just aswell have gone direct to a breeder.

I'l probably get jumped on for this but it is just my opnion

Granted the rescue organisation do need donations to keep going eg money for food bill, vet bill, lighting, heating etc but by suggesting such a high donation amount, to me, it seems as if they are just making a rod for their own backs and therefore keeping the centre full of cats that would have more than likely gone to loving homes if their 'suggested donation' was more in the region of say £20-£50

Like I say it's just my opnion
Bodhi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2006, 12:53 PM
I don't think you could buy a bengal for £150..

And it's a worth while cause.

I would ask how the money is spent though, personally.

(we have a snow spotted bengal )
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2006, 12:56 PM
OKay I'll re-word that

The £150 could be a deposit on a cat from a breeder
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2006, 01:27 PM
More like £400 to £500 from a breeder...Personally I would have no problem paying that for a Bengal rescue
Max
New Member!
Male 

12-10-2006, 12:06 PM
It's been very interesting to read your points of view. After giving the matter serious consideration, I've decided to go to a multi-cat rescue, as these appear to be the rescues that receive the least financial assistance. I'd be more than willing to donate more than the requested adoption fee, as long as I was sure it was being used for the benefit of the cats.