View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lady Kiera
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-08-2006, 06:42 AM

Unwanted Puddles (house training problems - help please)

Hi
Is there any way I can get my little darling, to stop making puddles and sometimes doodles in the night,
I have tried everything. Like taking her for late night walks and removing her food after 6pm. But can't seem to breake her of the habbit
Any sugestions please.
This is my little darling winning The fancy dress, second in best trick and 3rd in best dog at our local dog training classes . We had a fun day and it was brilliant.

Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

19-08-2006, 06:47 AM
Lovely pics,I am having the same problem with my pup,but he is a lot younger.I just keep picking him up and putting him outside and saying toilet when he gets it right he gets loads of fuss,when he doesn't I don't say anything just clean it up,yesterday we had all our jobs in the garden this morning not so good it is early yet though.Time and patience is all I can suggest and cleaning the area with something that will remove the scent,think biological washing powder is good. Good luck.
Lady Kiera
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-08-2006, 06:54 AM
The problem is .. She is now 18 months old and knows she dose her doddles etc outside . She gets praised when she dose it right, and also has started doing it during the day . She dosent ask (bark) to be out like she used to. Its like shes forgot LOL.
She also knows when she dose it during the day when I am here it is wrong , as I get angry and tell her.
Shes trying my patience
But I love her, We just need to get passed this phase
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

19-08-2006, 06:59 AM
Is she in her rebellious stage I think sometimes they go backwards they do things right for so long and we think we have cracked it then they go backwards,just to keep us on our toes. I am sure in time she will get it right.
Lady Kiera
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-08-2006, 07:05 AM
Kiera is my first dog
I didnt know about rebelious stage , how long dose it last ?.
I try to feed her in the mornings, then just give her little treats the rest of the day, if shes good. But she still doodles at night.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

19-08-2006, 07:09 AM
They get like stroppy teenagers,it can vary between dogs,you just have to be firm with her,at 18 months shouldn't think it will last much longer.Someone with a lot more knowledge than me should be along later with some good advice.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-08-2006, 07:57 AM
You need to go right back to basics with her. Here is a Dogsey article by Minihaha which may help you: http://www.dogsey.com/dog-articles.php?t=8974

If she is toileting in the house during the day then you need to keep a closer watch on her. You should be able to pick up the signals that she needs to 'go' - sniffing the floor, circling, etc. You should also now be able to establish at what times during the day she needs to go. If she is fed regularly then her digestive processes will be regular and she will need to toilet at approximately the same times every day.

There is absolutely no point at all in telling her off after the event. If she starts to associate her pees and poos with anger from you she may well start trying to hide the evidence by going in corners, behind furniture, etc. - or she may even eat the evidence.

If she doesn't toilet last thing at night then you will have to do as you would with a puppy - get up during the night and take her out when she indicates her need to relieve herself.

She is not soiling indoors because of any 'rebelliousness'. She is doing it because she has not learned that the only acceptable place for her business is outside