Our sister sites
Our sister sites
charlie092
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-08-2006, 08:09 PM

How often should i brush my pups teeth?

hi everyone
this is my first post on here, although i have been reading through some of the others the past few days.
How often should i brush my pups teeth?Is it ok to do this everyday?(he is a 12 week old staff)
The problem is he keeps eating his own poo and being a pup always wants to lick everyone! I dont know why he does this, something i need to ask my vet i think!
Can anyone help?Would be very much appreciated
thanks
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2006, 08:20 PM
Getting your pup used to regular toothbrushing is a good idea but watch when they start teething as it can be a bit painfull and put them off.

With my dogs I got them used to having their teeth brushed as young pups then laid off while they were teething and once the big teeth were through and not sore carried on with regular brushing.

There isn't much need other then getting them used to it in cleaning their teeth more than once a week or two because you don't have to worry about any tartar build up seeing as they will loose them soon anyway..It becomes more important obviously when the big teeth are through.

So if it were me I would just be getting my pup used to it all rather than worrying to be to stringent.

Regards to the eating poop issue it would be more beneficial to try to clear up after the pup everytime it goes so he doesn't get the chance to eat it....Because what is to guarantee that he wont go straight out and eat some right after you cleaned his teeth, you will be for ever cleaning them.

DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2006, 12:50 PM
i'd say at least once every two days i wipe roxys teeth with some dog toothpaste, and shortly I will brushing her teeth once a week. At the moment she is still in the stage of just chewing on her tooth brush whilst im trying to brush her teeth
charlie092
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-08-2006, 08:55 PM
Originally Posted by myschievous
Regards to the eating poop issue it would be more beneficial to try to clear up after the pup everytime it goes so he doesn't get the chance to eat it....Because what is to guarantee that he wont go straight out and eat some right after you cleaned his teeth, you will be for ever cleaning them.

I clean it up as soon as he does it as i am watching him everytime he is outside because he chews everything!The problem is literally as soon as he has finished he trys to eat it, if he doesnt he races me to it and starts eating he doesnt listen at all when he is outside so i cant even call him away. it makes no difference.What i want to know is why he does it?I heard if a dog is eating his own mess then it could be a lack of something in his diet but im not sure what.Is this true?
lizdll
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2006, 11:48 PM
Originally Posted by charlie092
I clean it up as soon as he does it as i am watching him everytime he is outside because he chews everything!The problem is literally as soon as he has finished he trys to eat it, if he doesnt he races me to it and starts eating he doesnt listen at all when he is outside so i cant even call him away. it makes no difference.What i want to know is why he does it?I heard if a dog is eating his own mess then it could be a lack of something in his diet but im not sure what.Is this true?
i have heard that if you give them a little pineapple its puts them off but it could be hes not getting the nurients he needs from the food so hes re eatting it to tty to get them
Toller_obsessed
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-08-2006, 07:13 AM
I don't brush my dogs' teeth anymore, but when I did, I think it was about 3 times a week. If they have any plaque, I'll scrape it off with a dog dental pick thing but I now give my dogs raw bones 4 times a week and their teeth have never looked better!
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2006, 09:57 AM
Originally Posted by charlie092
sometimes they just do...my boy dog used to aswell when he was a pup...when I switched them over to a raw diet he didn't anymore, no idea if it was coincidence but one of my theories was that there is so much food stuff that is undigestable in dog food that they are giving it a second go?

The thing I did with my dog was to keep my eye on him and as soon as he went near the poop with his nose a sharp 'ah ah' or clap of my hands would warn him off until he got the message not to and I could get to it to clear it up.
sanchez
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-08-2006, 10:33 AM
Have you tried him on denta sticks? They are supposed to be really good for their teeth and they enjoy them a lot more than a toothbrush
charlie092
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-08-2006, 11:31 AM
Originally Posted by sanchez
Have you tried him on denta sticks? They are supposed to be really good for their teeth and they enjoy them a lot more than a toothbrush
HI i didnt think they could have things like that until they are 4 months?
He actually quite enjoys having his teeth brushed, that is until the toothpaste is all gone

Went to vets for 2nd injection today anyway and was told not to bother brushing teeth until the big ones are through, as it could cause damage to their mouths/gums etc

Thanks for your replies
kyektulu
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2006, 01:22 PM
Great thread, I was wondering about brushing my pups teeth too!

thanks for the info guys.