View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Cheex30
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-07-2006, 09:39 AM

My puppy Staff - eye discharge - is this common in Staffordshire Bull Terriers?

Hi guys I just got a new puppy staff shes 5 months old now and shes called Chelsea shes a lovely dog she has such a great temprement and is so good with my son.

Shes a really unusal colour of white and blue and has a blue nose and blue eyes but I was wondering if staffys are known to have eye problems as she always has mucky eyes and its really discusting.

My vet says its proberbly congenital but gave me some eye ointment for her.

Shes just been spayed as well yesterday and is feeling pretty sorry for herself at the moment.

heres a pic of my new girl

Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2006, 09:44 AM
Awww poor little girl she looks so sorry for herself, they hate those lampshade thingys on don't they She's lovely and hope she feels a bit better soon.
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2006, 09:46 AM
Arr love her!! I hate those lampshades too. I hope she is comfortable xxxxx
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-07-2006, 09:56 AM
Many dogs have what may be considered excessive eye discharge. It is not disgusting - just one of those things that may come with having a dog If it is an infection then the ointment should clear it. If it is just natural discharge then wipe her face under her eyes frequently with a clean cloth dampened in cool, boiled water to prevent any build-up of debris.

If her eyes are causing irritation (if she is scratching at them or trying to rub them on the ground/carpet) and the prescribed ointment does not seem to be helping then you will need to consult your veterinarian again.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2006, 11:04 AM
hi depends on the discharge to be honest

Bruno my staffie wakes up with sleep in his eyes ( or eye snot) as I like to call it - every day and i just wipe it away - his eyes are always clear and brown so he has no infection - some dogs just have more disharge than others
Bodhi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2006, 11:09 AM
Bo gets eye snot in the morning when she wakes up - just like us

She usually sorts it herself, or I wipe it away with a tissue
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2006, 11:58 AM
Roxy gets BIG clumps of sleep in her eyes in the morning, and then drips and draps during the day. I think its perfectly normal
Cheex30
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-07-2006, 04:03 PM
I didnt mean it was discusting in a nasty way, of course its what I expected when I brought her and I apologise if it came over in a negative way.

Her eyes ooze this thick green gunk all day everyday, but touch wood the eye ointment seems to be working and its not as bad as it has been, I have been cleaning them everyday since I got her so its not as if I am not taking care of this problem for her.

Sorry for any misunderstanding

Jo
x
linds1917
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-07-2006, 09:45 AM
Being as you,ve just said its green would say to me its a infection .
oscar gets a little discharge in the mornings but its always a brown colour. you know that mucky mud/pink colour.
just finish your course of drugs and see what happens.
P.s she is lovely.