Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2006, 06:58 PM

How did your dog learn to swim?

We're looking after Harvey at the mo who's a 6 month old Bichon that hates water.

Well I've just taken Harvey, Woody and Pickles down to the river for a walk and a swim for Woody. Chucked a stick in for Woody that promptly sank so he was fishing around underwater for it. Harvey thought this was great fun and was bouncing up and down on the river bank. He then ran down to the edge of the river looked up at me and just sprinted into the water!
He did the usual "panic" doggy paddle that dogs do when they don't know how to swim, but once he got the hang of it he had great fun.

He looked like a drowned rat, but he had fun!

So how did your dogs learn to swim, was it an accident or did they just decide to dive in?!
BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2006, 07:10 PM
I've never had anywhere to take them swimming

One time though I thought it would be nice for Bailey to go paddling in a stream. I threw his ball across to encourage him to check it out and he refused to go and get it I ended up splashing my way across to get it back

The golden retriever we had when I was little was always in water though! I think it started when she came in the paddling pool with me and my brother The problem with her was stopping her going in water!

Well done to harvey for taking the plunge!
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2006, 07:14 PM
Could count on 1 hand how many times Cassie has actually swam. She'll paddle and plodge about but likes her paws on the ground.
Only ever swims when she falls in LOL
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-07-2006, 07:24 PM
Star ran into the sea and got out of her depth so she had no choice sink or swim. I was just about to go in after her when she started to swim back to us. Now she loves the water.
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2006, 07:25 PM
We just threw 15 week old Cruiser in the pool in the garden... He LIKES it and could swim.. just like magic..
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2006, 07:28 PM
LOL, Carole...OH had to go in after Cassie twice last summer. Probably why she's more wary now
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2006, 07:49 PM
Flame, my GSD, fell in the river when she was 12 weeks old and will only swim now if she has to.

Moss also learned to swim in a river when my friend waded out, Moss followed and found himself out of his depth. He too only swims now on rare occasions, and usually by accident!
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-07-2006, 07:56 PM
When i got Vegas,he wouldnt go near water,but he is everso playful and a friendly German Shepherd kept encouraging him to go into a lake i go to with her.After a while-Vegas followed her into the water and now i cant get him out!

He'll still jump over puddles though to get to rivers...
Munsti-Sue
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-07-2006, 07:56 PM
Bodie was 12 weeks old when she first took the pludge.

It was when we went back to visit the breeder. We took bodie and the 4 pups still waiting for homes down to the tank test track on Bovington Camp near Lulworth Cove and Monkey World in Dorset (The breeder was an officer in the camp!). Using a duck wing as a lure the breeder attempted to lure the pups across the water - Bodie and her brother 'Blaze' were the only 2 who actually swam across to get the wing.

Since then the furthest she has swum out has been 50ft at Kingsbury Water Park to retrieve a dummy - need a dummy launcher to get further. Generally you can't keep her out the water....she hates the sea though
murphydog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-07-2006, 08:02 PM
my old man loves swimming dont know how he learnt cos found him but he loves swimming in the sea or anywhere he can find!!! he has a paddling pool in the garden and spends most of his time in it i have even found him laid asleep in it in summer! he was submerge in water except for his head wish id had a camera!!!! my pup will also follow the other dogs into the sea but hasnt swum yet!!!!!!!!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >