Bodhi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2006, 04:31 PM

Conforming to society - piercings/tattoos etc

To me, judging someone by how they LOOK be it:

piercings, tattoos, hair cut, clothes, COLOUR OF THEIR SKIN

is all the same.

We all love to categorise. Why is it more socially acceptable to wear a suit? Where does it say a suit/nice hair cut makes you more worthwhile to do a job? More intelligent? More TRUSTWORHY??

People want the world to change/be less IST (be it race/sex/sexuality) yet cannot accept the differences in people.

How do you perceive people who look different? We accept different races because we've been TOLD to. How about people who wear scruffy clothes, have dreads, lip rings?

Be honest, what is your STEROTYPE of that kind of person?

And what do you REALLY think they are like?
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2006, 04:36 PM
Are we allowed to talk about that?
lillybet
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2006, 04:38 PM
i have piercings and tattoos. i think people think it shows a lack of intelligent's. i have to say when i go to the bank i would rather see some1 smart in a suit but if i go to get a tattoo i would rather a more relaxed look. i do think you should look and dress to each job the way it is deemed right.
Bodhi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

about our views? Yes - it's the discussion section
Bodhi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

why lillybet? What makes you feel like that?
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2006, 04:39 PM
I had a friend who was sacked from Maccy D's because her tattoo was longer than her shirt sleeve and apparently was an "eyesore". (It was a tribal design, lovely I thought!)
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2006, 04:42 PM
Psychology says a person in a suit/smartly dressed, is more likely to make an effort, therefore an employer will seek them rather than someone not.
Bodhi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2006, 04:42 PM
what if she had a burn scar on her arm? Would that have been ok?

Sorry. I am getting really cross with the whole situation! It is my body, I can do with it what I please.

I can wear my hair in a pony tail, and that's ok with you? (society), but if I scruff it up it's not?

Why should YOU (society) choose how I look?

For the record - I have only my ears pierced (did have my nipple, but we had an accident with that ) and currently planning my first tattoo. So, not been the "brunt" of any IST yet. But really P's me off.
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2006, 04:43 PM
OK well i would not like to be served by someone who has lots of piercings all in their face in a proffessional job (i.e bank, sloicitors), as i see they have a lack of respect for their bodys, which may show a lack of respect for their Job. upon saying this i knew a chef who had lots of tattoos and piercings and he was very good at his job.

Also it depends on the type of tattoo, if a guy at a garage had one saying 'Kill or die', i would be a bit hesitant to talk to him.

Ii have my belly pierced 3 times and a tattoo on my lower back, but i believe if it is hidden then it cannot offend anyone else. I would never consider getting my face pierced anywhere (except ears)
Bodhi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2006, 04:44 PM
That is true. But isn't accurate.

I am sure people said they only employed white people years ago as they looked harder working.

It is an outdated, stereotype in todays wondrously different human race world.
Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »