Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2006, 07:34 AM

indie being weird! ran off and now wont stop barking

indie scared the hell out of me earlier. i took her for her normal morning walk to the dog park round the corner to play frisby. we do this everyday and she loves it.

well today she was all excited, i threw the frisby and she went and got it, and then went for a wee. then she started sniffing around wildly and wouldnt stop. i couldnt even get her attention. Anyway, after about 5 mins of this, she ran across the field, went to the toilet, and then started walking toward the exit to the park... this is very unusual cos she normally dont wanna go home, and we'd only been out 5 mins. anyway, i called her, and she didnt come back, which again is very unusual, normally shes very responsive. anyway, she ran out of the park, hackles up, barking and growling as she went. i chased after her, trying to give her a down command or anything to stop her, and she didnt respond, again unusual. She then proceeded down the middle of the road growling and hackles up. she was runnin toward this man growling and i shouted to him to grab her if she went near him, but she didnt. she kept in middle of road hackles up. Theres me running as fast as i can after her, panicking she will get run over eventually she stops long enough for me to quickly grab her, while shes embarassingly growling at this man. I then walk her home, he hackles up and her growling and grunting. she strains all the way back to the house, runs upstairs to the lounge and jumps on the windowsil and starts barking and growling, hackles up. and shes been on the windowsil for now 10 minutes and hasnt stopped!

i took a vid so maybe someone can tell me whats wrong with her, im really worried now, and still in a panic from her running off, shes never done that before.

http://video.freevideoblog.com/video...7F6C881A5D.htm
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2006, 07:39 AM
Perhaps there has been an animal about that she got the smell of and didn't like?
darasa
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-05-2006, 08:01 AM
Phew that does sound frightening, no wonder you are still in a panic
Poor Indie looks very tense too ... do you think maybe it was the wind? it has been very windy here and I know that Poppy doesn't like it at all!!
It's all I can think of....Like Hevvur said , maybe she got the scent of something that scared her, it seems to have hit her panic button!! It sounds like she was running scared !
Sorry I can't be more help, I hope you both feel better soon!!
Rachel
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2006, 08:07 AM
it so strange. shes never done anything like it before. i mean, shes got panicked by loud noises and strange people before, but all she does is stand and bark with her hackles up and then goes back to normal. it was so strange. shes never run off like that before, she she looked truely frightened by something, but i cant think what. she never normally doesnt come back to me and never seen her just walk out of the park before.

really scary i really thought she was gonna get run over
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-05-2006, 09:41 AM
Hi Jenny scary yes but normal I think...remember dogs 'read scent' and for them a scent can be connected to past experiences good and bad. Maybe it was a Fox?

If you don't wish the behaviored to continue get her down from the windowsill and distract her with a game or a toy and the experience will soon be forgotten .

The incident demonstrates that a dog is never 100% sure of obeying a recall, and I never trust any dog no matter how well trained 100%...there is always the chance of that odd occasion when instinct will overcome obedience.
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2006, 09:44 AM
that sounds scary! Sounds like she has had a very bad experience or some kind of trauma.... has she been vaccinated within the last month or so?
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2006, 10:14 AM
thanks mini, ur right, its made me realise that these things can happen no matter how well trained. ive never seen anything like it.

makes me wonder what scared her so much to just run into the road.
Trish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2006, 10:29 AM
Bless her, she was certainly spooked by something.

How is she now?
bens mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2006, 11:20 AM
couldnt watch the video, but maybe she didnt like the man, just got bad vibes off him or something, animals are good at sensing stuff.
but give her lots of strokes n talk to her in a soothing way, she should calm down.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-05-2006, 11:24 AM
Originally Posted by bens mum
give her lots of strokes n talk to her in a soothing way, she should calm down.
Soothing and stroking will serve to reinforce her fear and confirm that her reactive behaviour was appropriate. It would be better to do as suggested above - distract her with a game to take her mind off her demons
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >