Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
hound
Dogsey Junior

01-11-2004, 11:47 AM

Who is walking who?!

Hi all

just wondered if anyone could shed any light on this.

As Demps has got older he seems to be pulling me for a walk, he can't wait to get down to the park where I will let him off...so he drags me. I have tried every 3 seconds pulling him back telling heal...so by he time I get down the park, i am worn out and he is panting.

At the weekend i went out with my husband walking him ( which we never get the chance, just the 2 of us) and it made me realise that Demps is so different with him, he doesn't pull and keeps looking behind to check that my husband is still there and listening out for his commands, I couldn't believe it, we were nearly tripping over him and it was a lovely walk as oppose to a drag - he was like a different dog. My husband just said if he pulls pull him back tell him Heal, i was and Demps was really good.

The next morning, i took him out and got dragged....heal heal heal..pulling him back - it's like he is sticking his 2 fingers up and saying yeah whatever. i pull him back saying heal...and then he pulls me...it's like a tug of war

I am worried because he is different to whoever walks him and I have my neighbour looking after him next year whilst we holiday and I don't want him dragging her.

any advice gratefully recieved.
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2004, 12:51 PM
Maybe your husband reinforces it, maybe demps see's you as being weaker and he can get one over on you, make sure he knows you are the boss, and really reinforce what you mean by heel, if nessicary use a harness
hound
Dogsey Junior

01-11-2004, 01:50 PM
I did think of getting a harness for him but I was unsure this would make any difference...I thought it would give him more chance to pull me.

when I went dog training with him, they told me put him on a short lead and get him to stay close.....I have even tried pulling him up close telling him heal.....but it make it twice as hard.
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2004, 01:51 PM
I would try a harness, you can pull him back without strangling him, if he pulls, turn around and walk back the opposite way, keep doing it til he learns to respect you and heel
Ash
Dogsey Senior
Male 

01-11-2004, 01:57 PM
I was given a little advise not long ago.

If he really likes his walk, this helps.

As soon as he pulls, turn around and put him back in the yard.
No walk.
As time goes on you might get futher down the street, but as soon as he pulls turn around and put him back in the yard.
Just like a child, you have got to have a Consquence (sp).

As alot of ppl agree the old NILF = Nothing In Life Is Free..

Might be worth a try if all else fails..

Ashley...
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2004, 01:58 PM
good advice ash
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2004, 02:09 PM
You could try a halti head collar they work wonders and once they learn not to pull you rarely need to use them again.
mr.leo
Dogsey Senior

01-11-2004, 02:13 PM
The thing that i have picked up reading this thread is that your dog knows that your husband is the boss and pack leader he does as he is told as any under dog would do in a pack for fear of reprisals from the leader of the pack.

You should try and stop when he pulls untill he has returned to your side do this everytime he pulls as he is not seeing you as a leader the same as he does with your husband.

Another thing you could try is a head lead control the head you control the dog what ever it's size and strength.

Using a harness is wrong to use for training cause you got to think where all the power from the staffy comes from and you are contected to that power cause with a harness the dog is pulling into it.
Ash
Dogsey Senior
Male 

01-11-2004, 02:15 PM
LOL the only problem is trying to get them use to a Halti..

I use a Halti on both my dogs, its like Power steering for dogs.
Once they get use to it...

Zues is ok now, but Kumo still drops during training, and does the death roll trying to get it off..

I just go ops:

Ash...
hound
Dogsey Junior

01-11-2004, 02:43 PM
thanks for all this advice...I am going to try it all.....as something must work. I was aware that he sees me as the weaker in the pack....

will let you know how I get on.....
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >