Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2006, 03:24 PM

How Green Is Your House - last night

Anyone see this? I find it quite informative and interesting usually. It's nice to see how, if we actually tried, we could all do a lot to save the environment. (Although, admittedly, I'm too attached to my mains electricty, central heating etc to give it up!)

Anyway, last night, they decided to slaughter 2 pigs that they had kept for a big New Years party.

It was all shot quite nicely, not too many gory shots and close ups etc.
They had a guy in to help them slaughter it, and to help them butcher and hang it properly.

My problem was with the mother of the family. They had always had these pigs in to slaughter them eventually. The whole point of the program is that they are living as self-sufficiently as possible (making own power, growing/rearing own food etc).

She refused to be any part of anything, saying that she had fed them and wouldn't eat them as it was horrible.
I can understand that you might not want to watch an animal being killed, but to say you'll have no further part of it was a little extreme.

Her grown up kids were on, saying they have much more respect now they have seen what happens when you eat meat.

I just felt the whole point of the program was for them to be self sufficient, and if she's not going to eat what they produce, she may as well go to Tesco every week and buy her own stuff.

I don't raise my own food, but if I did, I'd flippin well deal with the horrible bits of it. *Remembers someone bringing a duck to me to cook with its head still on!*

Grrr... ok, rant over!

Shelley
x
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2006, 04:27 PM
im not a veggie or anything, but when My father killed our 2 chickens (which were like my pets) i couldn't face eating them
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2006, 04:34 PM
I thought it was really good last night too and I know what you mean about the mother, she can be a bit strange.

Like the son said, if you say you can't eat pork after having them slaughtered then surely it would be hypocritical to eat any meat, considering how animals are normally slaughtered. They certainly wouldn't have half the life those pigs had that's for sure!

And another thing that got me was when she said she looked out of the window when they were being slaughtered and saw something she didn't want to see?

Well she knew when and where they were being slaughtered, so why look outside at all???

But on the whole a brill programme!
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2006, 05:57 PM
Originally Posted by DobieGirl
im not a veggie or anything, but when My father killed our 2 chickens (which were like my pets) i couldn't face eating them

Quite agree - I couldn't eat ANYTHING I had been on first name terms with It would be like eating your pet dog