View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Rachie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-05-2006, 12:11 PM

Peeing Cav... Still!! (House-training problems)

Hi all

I posted a topic a few weeks ago about my 2 and half yr old cavalier king charles peeing in the house. I took all of your advice and went back to basics with the training and everytime he went out and did his business he got a treat.... this worked wonders for a couple weeks and we had nothing, not even when I'd been out for quite a while.

Well.... having said that in the last couple days we've gone back to being naughty again. The other day my jacket was hung on the back of the chair in the kitchen (where hes kept at night and when I'm out) and he'd pulled it off and peed ON my jacket (I was seriously not amused!!) then today hes managed to dislodge the babygate I put up giving him access to the whole house while I was out and I found 3 lots of pee upstairs.....

Can anyone please give me any clues as to why hes started doing this? I must admit I've stopped giving him the treats (cos it was getting to be about 10 a day) but I do still give lots of praise and cuddles.

One of my relatives has offered to lend me a cage that they have for their spaniel, what are peoples views on this? I've always thought they're cruel and unnecessary.... maybe I should go down that road?

Any help would again be appreciated cos I'm goin stir crazy!! I think a child would be easier to handle!!!

Thanks
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2006, 12:23 PM
Might be wrong but it sounds like he is just marking his territory on your jacket. Has he been castrated at all? I definitely wouldn't allow him run of the house when you aren't in. We have a Bichon and when everybody is out of the house - he is put in the kitchen because he sometimes wees when left alone (more out of anxiety than anything) I leave the door open though but have the dog gate closed. I think a crate can be a very good idea - Benji used to love his - I didn't shut him in very much though but I think most people use them nowadays and as long as they are plenty big enough I don't think they are cruel to use for a few hours.
Rachie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-05-2006, 12:31 PM
Thanks for the reply.. I might try the crate, anythings worth a go!! He doesn't normally have the run of the house but the clever little mister had managed to dislodge it from the frame!! must've took some gusto as well

Do you think castration would help? hes not been done yet
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2006, 12:34 PM
give crate training a try....
Rachie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-05-2006, 12:38 PM
how does that work then? do I put him in it when I'm out or something? and is it all the time or just till he gets out of this bad habit?
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2006, 12:40 PM
Originally Posted by Rachie
Thanks for the reply.. I might try the crate, anythings worth a go!! He doesn't normally have the run of the house but the clever little mister had managed to dislodge it from the frame!! must've took some gusto as well

Do you think castration would help? hes not been done yet

Sometimes castration can help but not always unfortunately. My dog was castrated at 7 months and we had great house training problems with him but by 8 months he was completely clean and always asks to go out if we are with him
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2006, 01:17 PM
Originally Posted by Rachie
how does that work then? do I put him in it when I'm out or something? and is it all the time or just till he gets out of this bad habit?
when you are out and at bedtime ..the rest it still down to you to train him to go in the right place....some do take time but you will get out what you put in
Trixy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2006, 04:07 PM
When crate trained a Cavalier will not do it's business in there but if left for a good length of time then its expected, take your Cavaliers water away from him 1 hour before bed time and a last wee, keep to a routine and you will soon reap the rewards with Cavaliers you do have to pursue for a couple of weeks before they get into a regular routine and you should be on track, when accidents have happened with me I tend to clean the area with water and vinigar mixed together they hate the smell of it you could try it yourself and see what happens, I have also found that when you leave the room and they find an item of clothing belonging to you they do have a tendancy of urinating on the garment I suppose it is a territory thing, but do give your crate a go