View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2006, 01:37 PM

German shep x behaviour? (elderly deaf dog - more affectionate, eating, sleeping more

My 12 year old german shep x has become very affectionate, his behaviour has changed recently.....Since i got him at 18 months old he has always been fussy about what he eats, but over the last month he'll eat anything Also we are worried because he sleeps a lot more.....He's gone completely deaf...but the vet says thats normal because of his age.

We already know he has a heart murmour, but i'm not sure what grade....all we were told by the vet is that it's very prominant....He also has arthritus, but at the moment although he's stiff sometimes it's not causing him any discomfort.

Do you think he's trying to tell us something?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-05-2006, 01:52 PM
Originally Posted by justlou
My 12 year old german shep x has become very affectionate, his behaviour has changed recently.....Since i got him at 18 months old he has always been fussy about what he eats, but over the last month he'll eat anything Also we are worried because he sleeps a lot more.....He's gone completely deaf...but the vet says thats normal because of his age.

We already know he has a heart murmour, but i'm not sure what grade....all we were told by the vet is that it's very prominant....He also has arthritus, but at the moment although he's stiff sometimes it's not causing him any discomfort.

Do you think he's trying to tell us something?
..Yes he is telling you he is getting old and needs a little extra care and attention in repayment for years of devotion .

Amy at nearly 15 sleeps a lot and doesn't hear what I say, but she is not deaf she just can't hear certain pitches of sound,I clap when I want to get her attention.
She has a serious heart murmur too grade 4+ but that doesn't prevent her walking a mile most days at her own pace..
Have you seen this article by Shadowboxer..

http://www.dogweb.co.uk/talkdogs/the...dog_13176.html
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2006, 02:37 PM
Thanks for that very useful link Mini

I was just a bit concerned because he's changed in the last month, but now i understand it better

Thanks again