Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
OssettWhites
New Member!
Male 

24-04-2006, 11:44 PM

Garden Pests

Our garden backs onto open fields resulting in us getting hundreds of slugs & snails.

Jasper (our 12 week old) finds them highly interesting (!!!) and has a tendancy to bring the odd one or two into the house (both knowingly & unsuspectingly [feet & hair]).

In addition to this, the disgusting things are also causing havoc with out plants!!

Prior to getting Jasper, I'd have given my garden a good sprinkling of slug pellets by now - most slug pellets now claim to be 'children & pet friendly' - are they though? Whilst the odd one or two may not hurt a dog, the quantities that a pup would eat is a different matter!

Has anyone any comments (or alternative solutions to the problem)?

Cheers

OW
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

25-04-2006, 05:57 AM
Hiya, I wouldn`t use any pellets, just can`t see how they can kill slugs without containing some sort of poison

You could try burying to the rim cut, cleaned out grapefruit skin then pouring some beer into them, believe the slugs drink then die drunk

It`s true really
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-04-2006, 08:36 AM
Plant to encourage thrushes and other snail-eating birds.

Get some ducks

Go out and collect them in a bucket and then ... ummm - dispose of them.

Beer traps as suggested by Christine.

I believe that 'snail bait houses' can be made or purchased, but not sure I would trust an inquisitive pup not to manage to tip them up and eat the bait