Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shanik
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-04-2006, 02:42 PM

Boxer drinking too much - worried!!

Hello everyone. Max, my ten year old white boxer has in the past week started to drink more and more water. He goes to the bowl and gulps and gulps and gulps, he is weeing a lot more too which obviously could be due to the excess amount of water he is drinking. Compared to our boxer girl and what he is normally like it is certainly becoming excessive and I can hear him throughout the night too. He had an operation to remove growths in his mouth (which he has been prone to) and have his teeth checked a fortnight ago. I have booked an appointment at the vets for tomorrow. Given his age and that he is certainly more elderly now I am a bit worried. I was just wondering if anyone had any similiar experiences? and could give any thoughts?
Shanik
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-04-2006, 02:44 PM
Sorry I forgot to add, lastnight even though we had the door open as it was a lovely day, he wee'd all over the floor in the utility room which he has never done since he was a puppy.
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-04-2006, 02:46 PM
I dont have an answer but Hi and welcome, hopefully some off our more experienced members will come along any time now and help you.
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2006, 02:47 PM
im sorry to hear this....all i can advise is to get to the vets....

Hope it all works out for you...

Alex
xx
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-04-2006, 03:08 PM
Hi Shanik changing the type of food your dog eats can have an affect on the amount of water consumed. Increased water consumption can also be caused by a number of medical conditions including diabetes, so I would get your dog checked by the vet as soon as possible.

Sorry just noticed your second post ..the urinating in doors could also be caused by a medical condition and again should be checked by the vet ASAP.
sweetmimi
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-04-2006, 03:09 PM
If he is drinking a lot of water I would definately get the vet to do a blood test on him to find out how his kidneys are working as excess drinking is one of the signs of kidney problems.
Please let us know how he gets on.
Wheaten mad
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2006, 03:20 PM
Yes i would take him to the vets like you said, rosie started doing exactly the same as you have mentioned and she turned out to be diabetic. So yes i would get him checked out.

sarah xxxx
Flipper
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-04-2006, 04:38 PM
Dibetes or kidneys would be my guess. My Rott had diabetes, I used to leave the patio door open for her (she didnt fit through the doggie door) but I came one morning after an overnight shift and I forgot to open the door, she had been with me all night at work but when I woke up a couple of hours later there was a big puddle by the door....it took about 5 attempts of mopping it up with fresh water to get the 'stickiness' out of the floor.
Alison2006
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-04-2006, 04:50 PM
From past experience with dogs i'd say kidneys. Is he on any medication which may have the side effect of increased thirst? My dog has been on Rimadyl which has the side effect of increasing thirst .

Good luck on the visit to the vets and let everyone know how you get on.
Heidi1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-04-2006, 05:25 PM
It sounds very much like diabetes - blood tests would be best
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >