View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2006, 01:16 PM

Official Breed Names/Changing Them - No Rules?

Can anyone enlighten me as to how a breed gets officially named and how you can just change them willy-nilly?

This question comes about because of Loki's breeder. Quick history - she took some NI dogs from the NI Society, started up/joined the Utonagan Society and the dogs were 're-named Utonagan'. I assume the breeding was changed here so different to the NI. Then she fell out with the Utonagan Society and started up the BIUS, retaining the name Utonagan for her dogs. Now she has fallen out with all the Utonagan people and has re-named her dogs Tamaskan Dogs, bar one which she is calling a Wolfdog (Yogi).

How is this possible? Rather naively, I thought a breed was a breed and you couldn't just go around and re-name a group of dogs? And can you just run up a 'pedigree certificate' and stick anything on it or does this have to be registered somewhere?

What does this make Loki now? He was given the name Utonagan but his mum, brother and Grandmother have now been re-named as Tamaskan dogs.

When does a dog breed name become official, like German Shepherd Dog, I mean you don't go around re-naming them, do you?

Can anyone just mix up a brew of dogs in their backyard and name them whatever they want, start up a website calling them, say, 'The HoboMix Dog' and market them, then change the name on a whim, say to 'The NewandImprovedHoboMix Dog'?

Does the name not have to be registered somewhere? Or does this only happen when and IF they gain KC membership?
ste.n.steph
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-04-2006, 01:25 PM
i'm not so sure about this, as far as i know you cant just change a dogs breed a dog is what it is thats like saying i am a woman but i decided i want to be a goddess or something lol.
But i'm not so sure about it i know you cant when they are kc like cocker spaniel and cavaliers etc...
Maybe you can email the kc about it and see what they say?
Hope you find out
steph
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2006, 01:29 PM
Right tricky isn't it...

In all the cases as far as I can tell when the name has changed between NI / Ute and now Tamaskan is when other breeds have been added and the one society has not fully agreed, making the split...so in some way it is right the dogs are under a separate name, so long as that is the information given as to why the separate new name.

Loki in my opinion will always be a Utonagan...His sire, dam, etc are Utonagan's...But that is where the difficulty lies...Because the Tamaskan breeders have washed there hands of all theing Ute...now any dog they have does not have the title Utonagan, which is where the problem lies! and if they were honest it would be said, this group of dogs are from our Utonagan breeding and we are using them along with this group of dogs to form this group of dog = this breed.

You mention the GSD...well kinda you could think of the shiloh shepherd in the same way as Ute's / NI and Tamaskan couldn't you?...
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2006, 01:34 PM
So shall I just dash off a new 'pedigree' certificate for Loki on my pc this afternoon and call him a Hobomix then?

You all know I love him regardless but what's going on can't be right, can it?
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2006, 01:41 PM
Aww it's not right I know...

But Loki is and always will be a Ute
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

04-04-2006, 01:47 PM
Just count our blessings that she didn't do the wolfx and keep them as Utonagans because that would have really upset the apple cart.
It would have undone all the good that has been done over the past couple of years and the progress that has been made in getting our dogs back on track where health is concerned.
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2006, 07:44 PM
I haven't got a clue about these things but assume until a breed is officially recognised they can be called whatever people want???????????? As for loki I would still consider him to be an Utonagan as that is what he was when you bought him and that is what your paperwork says, but i guess if you did want him to assume the new breed name (which i know you don't) that would probably be okay too if that is now the name his parents etc are going by??????????????????
Sansorrella
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-04-2006, 07:54 PM
LS - Loki is still a Ute.

The breeds aren't recognised by any official KC as yet, so it is possible for groups to breakaway and change the name - but more important is the fact that what they are breeding are in fact different, since they are adding different breeds. Its a shame when this happens but the people that are doing this are just interested in lining there own pockets and not developing a breed. I think both the NI and Utes are well rid of these people.
cumbriandoglover
Dogsey Junior
Male 

04-04-2006, 08:58 PM
i think the problem is simple, thay are noe real recognised breeds so one can call them anything one wants too!!! You cannot do that with proper recognised breeds.
Sansorrella
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-04-2006, 09:22 PM
Don't see much point in continuing any discussions - just play it down and I think the Tamawhatever they are will die a death - they certainly won't be legal in this country.
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >