View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2006, 01:24 PM

Are rabbit water bottles unsuitable for dogs?

My pup has a bowl attached to his crate when we are out in the day, but he has just recently taken to splashing in his water bowl, (he does it in his water bowl in the kitchen when we are home too so obviously isnt just an anxiety thing he just seems to enjoy it!), in his crate it makes all his beding wet, and generally he is wet as well when we get home, also with him not being fully house trained it makes it harder to tell if he's had any accidents. At bedtime in his small upstairs crate he has a rabbit water bottle as it is a smaller crate and is not enough room for him to get away from wet patch if he makes one splashing, he seemed to work out how to use bottle fairly quickly and quite often hear him drinking from it in the night and it has gone down every morning so he must be getting it out. My question is a) is it ok to give him his water in a rabbit bottle or could it somehow cause problems i.e. trapped wind if hes not getting it out quick enough? and b) would I be ok to leave him with the bottle in the day too and take his bowl out so he is not soaking himself and his bed, or will he not get enough water? It is the largest bottle I could buy, but he does drink alot.

Sorry for long post but advice would be appreciated!
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2006, 01:31 PM
One of our friends does this as her dog just tips the bowl over immediately. It's caused her no problems, if the bottle doesn't contain enough buy another and put two on mickey has four fastend to a fire guard in the kitchen (is loose in the house) otherwise the kitchen ends up flooded
Olly
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2006, 01:34 PM
Pups rarely if ever have "accidents "in there crates, so i dont think you need to worry too much about that bit ,how long is he left in the crate , if its only for an hour (at this time of year )i think he would be ok without water for that time ,and given his breed im sure he loves playing with water , gemma can never resist a puddle its all part of the fun i carnt advise about the rabbit bottle as i have never thought of using one , but im sure someone much cleverer than me, will be able to help .
sez
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-03-2006, 01:37 PM
hi i havent used one myself but i do know people who use them no problem,they say they are better when travelling as the ones that are attatched to the travel crates spill,cant see a problem with it,like kickstart says if your worried hes not getting enough put 2 on
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2006, 01:41 PM
My sister got a rabbit drinking bottle for her Bichon when he was younger and had to be crated sometimes when she went out. He seemed to be fine with it. At Pets at Home you can buy a really massive drinking bottle that will hold plenty of water for a dog - I don't know what sort of animal it was really intended for but it holds a lot of water.
Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2006, 01:57 PM
Originally Posted by Olly
Pups rarely if ever have "accidents "in there crates, so i dont think you need to worry too much about that bit ,how long is he left in the crate , if its only for an hour (at this time of year )i think he would be ok without water for that time ,and given his breed im sure he loves playing with water , gemma can never resist a puddle its all part of the fun i carnt advise about the rabbit bottle as i have never thought of using one , but im sure someone much cleverer than me, will be able to help .
My pup is the exception the the rule then! He will not go toilet in his bedtime crate upstairs but went through a stage of actually climbing in crate, when we were home, going toilet and getting out again! But seems to be over this now, thankfully! He does have quite a big crate for when we are out, we intend to give him the run of downstairs when we're out or at least the kitchen when he is older but he seems more upset when left with run of the kitchen then when left just in his crate for the time being, possibly because we dont spend much time in the kitchen and his crate is usually kept in front room, we tried moving it but he didnt like it so moved it back. He is left for no longer than 4 hours in ago, unfortunately my OH and I both work but OH's work is only 5mins down the road so he comes home for breaks and only has two weeks out of five where we are out 5 days a week normally its just three days and when hes older I hope to bring him to work with me.

He has been scared of water! Hates the rain and just cries, and was scared when I tried to give him a really shallow bath thinking he would enjoy a paddle being a water dog, I even rolled my jeans up and got in but he just cried! Some water dog! He is getting beter though, am really looking forward to taking him to the beach next week and hope he will like the sea
Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2006, 01:57 PM
Originally Posted by Foxy
My sister got a rabbit drinking bottle for her Bichon when he was younger and had to be crated sometimes when she went out. He seemed to be fine with it. At Pets at Home you can buy a really massive drinking bottle that will hold plenty of water for a dog - I don't know what sort of animal it was really intended for but it holds a lot of water.
Going there at the weekend so will have a look, thankyou!
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2006, 05:46 PM
We have some 'long term' dogs at the kennels, who will eat the water dish if it's left in, or smash it up if it's ceramic - we use rabbit water bottles for them with no problems
Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2006, 06:55 PM
Originally Posted by Hevvur
We have some 'long term' dogs at the kennels, who will eat the water dish if it's left in, or smash it up if it's ceramic - we use rabbit water bottles for them with no problems
Thanks is reasuring to hear about other people who use them with no problems