Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2006, 05:53 PM

Bit of a worrying conversation

I opened the door to a delivery guy with Loki by my side. The guy asked me, "how much did you pay for your dog?". Nothing else; didn't ask his name or what is he, no comment like isn't he lovely - just that. I ignored him and signed as I was a bit taken aback, then he asked twice more. I just said I couldn't remember, but I wish now I'd said he was from a rescue centre.

Most likely there's nothing to worry about, but with all the dog-napping cases that go on it unnerved me a bit, and I've put down the lock on the door now.
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

07-03-2006, 06:23 PM
I'd think most 'dog-nappers' have already done their 'research' so guess it was nothing to worry about, he probably feel in love with Loki and was considering buying one himself
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2006, 06:31 PM
agree he was prob being nosey
Daysleeper40
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-03-2006, 06:32 PM
I can see why you are a bit worried but it would take one very dim-witted dog-napper to knock on your door and discuss how much your dog is worth before trying to dog-nap him!

Like eRaze said he probably just fell in love with the gorgeousness of Loki and wanted to know if he could afford a Ute... try and look at it as a compliment given in a very weird way!
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2006, 07:43 PM
thanks guys I feel daft now . That would be a pathetic way to 'case the joint'
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2006, 07:56 PM
I would be worried.
However, I live in a different Country where there is a particular threat from a certain section of the community and we all have to be alert. A friend of mine was approached by these people when she was out with her dog and that was their question, too, before they opened the tailgate of her car (she had just put him back and was starting the car) and tried to grab the dog. Luckily, they didn't manage it.
However, this may not apply in this case and I sincerely hope it is innocent. If he was a delivery man, do you know the name of the Company? If so, maybe you can check him out for your own peace of mind.
Be vigilant for a few days, just in case.......
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2006, 07:59 PM
You are right to be suspicious, I would be too. You just cannot be too careful these days I guess (sad world huh!)

Perhaps he did like the look of Loki and wondered if he could afford a dog like him, but I'd have thought the first obvious question would have been what breed is he? What is he like to own/temperament etc? Where did you get him even, rather than ask what price you paid!
sez
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-03-2006, 08:18 PM
dont worry,i get this all the time,i just say priceless to me but worthless to anyone else,tell them that mine have medical problems,i have it engraved on thier tags(i need medical attention)who wants to pinch a vet bill ,some people just ask how much like they would a car etc
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2006, 08:20 PM
I'm probably worrying too because OH is away so it's just us, barracaded into the house with nothing but the TV, eBay, DW and food . I am pretty careful with Loki.

Deccy we were thinking of taking him to Kilrush with us to stay in my mum & dad's house.