Our sister sites
Our sister sites
RRmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-02-2006, 02:13 PM

Can dogs eat all the Marrowbone?

Hi All,
Just a quick question - that is probably a stupid question - but here goes...
I have just given Sydney her first marrow bone which I put in the freezer and froze first, as she is teething.
She absolutely loves it and we are all watching her like a hawk.
But do dogs actually eat the whole bone or do they take what they want and then leave it ???
Thank you!!!
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2006, 02:14 PM
china would try and eat it all if i let her!!!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2006, 02:15 PM
So would mine! I keep a very strict eye on them for any big chunks or small bits coming off. I don't let them have them for too long at a time either, as they just wouldn't stop! They love them don't they!
RRmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-02-2006, 02:20 PM
Thank you - It is still looking quite bit (it was very, very big to start with). When I take it off her (fat chance from the look of things!!!) do I throw it away or can I keep it for again???
(actually I have managed to take it off her and have popped it (well-wrapped) back in the freezer. I think I can get much more use out of it!!
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2006, 04:16 PM
Marrow and knuckle bones are recreational...meaning they just chew alot, they can and do eat a fair bit but generaly the bone is to hard to completly eat it...My dog Keena is a really tinatious chewer with bones and would chew till they were nothing...The reason I watch her and stop her when I think it's time is cuz I don't want her teeth to be wore down to stumps! My dogs only get the marrow and knuckle bones irregulary because of that, but they love them when they do get them...Other bones like rib bones and chicken bones (all raw) are completly eaten and much softer on the teeth...If you give your pup any of these supervise the whole time and watch how she chews them as she may just try to swallow them down, hold onto them if needs be until she gets the idea of chewing. Only give them raw, they are soft and supple that way, when cooked they splinter.

With the bones that have the the ends cut off be careful when they are chewing around to get out the marrow as this is where a dog could break it's tooth if it is to tenatious...I prefer to give bones that have both knuckles left on.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2006, 05:47 PM
Thanks for that tip Mysch. coz I always get mine cut in half! I didn't realise that about the sawn off bit

Mine last for weeks, as when it's gone dry I keep it up on the mantlepiece to give them something to do when they're bored, or when I get fed up with them shadowing me!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2006, 06:17 PM
Mine never have them for too long, as the marrow tends to make them a bit squitty, so little and not so often is the key. I keep mine for ages and just re-give till it's just too naff to even touch.....
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

15-02-2006, 04:08 AM
Sometimes the marrow can be a little rich for dogs not used to it, but if given regularly they usually get used to it Mine spend their time with those kind of bones trying to get it out and the noises they make doing it have got be heard to be believed They really only spend a little time gnawing those bones before going for the marrow itself, once thats gone they lose interst. You can just do what you`re doing, popping it into freezer when you think she`s had enough & giving it back to her when you`re ready
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2006, 10:12 PM
They would finish the bones but I don't let them keep them till they go that far...they would have a millimeter of teeth left if I let them completly grind down to many of these each!

Christine
Dogsey Veteran

16-02-2006, 08:04 AM
Mine would eat the knuckles on the end of that bone but not the middle, they`d settle to getting the marrow from the middle, thats the serious part for them