Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2006, 11:03 PM

NCT antenatal classes

I just wondered if anyone has been on any of these and/or has any opinions on them?

I'm not sure whether to do them or not. I can be quite a shy person and although I'd love a network of other new mums and babies to see and do things with after the baby is born, I HATE group situations where you have to introduce yourself, I hate 'ice-breakers' (had loads of them on work related courses and cringed every time) and do 'activities'. I've heard of things like having to use a doll to pretend it's a crying baby and show how you'd stop it crying. . My OH is worse and would probably bark out some dry comment that would make me . And the idea of talking of intimate labour-related things with a bunch of strangers leaves me cold, as does practicing labour positions in front of them, if that's what you have to do . I also don't know if I'd come away learning much, after reading through what they cover.

They do cost money and what if you hate the classes and don't make any friends? I'd be a poor Billy-No-Mates . But there is a chance to make friends and not be so isolated when the baby is born.

But there must be other, local groups that you can join in with?

Has anyone done the NCT classes? Good and bad stories appreciated.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-02-2006, 11:08 PM
I just did the classes attached to the hospital first time round they gave us enough info and took us a tour of the labour suite and wards.

So no experience here.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-02-2006, 11:36 PM
I have heard very good reports from the NCT they seem more 'intense' about the whole thing if you know what I mean. I went to the AN classes at the local hospital but that was a long time ago.
Trixy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2006, 11:37 PM
I never went but they are supposed to be very good my sister enjoyed them very much.
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2006, 10:18 AM
I never went to ANY classes with my 2.. I had Ciaran when I was 19 (1996) and had an easy labour, 4hours 46 minutes.. I was induced at 38 weeks though as I had pre eclampsia ..Caitlin was born in 2000 with a total labour time of 3hours 59 minutes.

I beleive that everything comes naturally... After all would we all be here if our mothers/granmothers/gggrandmothers couldn't do it without classes

Edited to add there will be lots of "after baby" meetings that you can join.. mother and baby groups etc... your health visitor will give you details of them
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2006, 10:29 AM
Thanks everyone.
minda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-02-2006, 10:59 PM
I don't know much about the actual classes, because I've never had kids myself but I think it's a wonderful way to meet other new mum's in your area. My mum went to NCT classes when she had me and was new to the area we lived in. She made some good friends and is still friends with most of them even now 30+ years later. It also means you'll meet a lot of potential babysitters. It also meant that I had lots of friends my own age in the area before I went to school, a few of whom I'm still in contact with. In my opinion it's worth it just for the social side of things.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2006, 11:10 PM
I went with my sister to a class when she was expecting her first and it was like being back at school for me I knew I was supposed to be serious but because I knew that and because I am a bit of a P**s taker I just wanted to laugh uncontrollably at some of the things they got everyone doing...My sister was just as bad though! She was this big lump and she would start laughing when she was in some of those silly positions and not be able to get back up...I think laughing helped to ease the embarrassment of some of those women though...lol....

They did have the whole plastic baby and pelvis thing showing 'how it all happens' and I really don't know how helpful some of that stuff is like...

I think I would make a rubbish new mum cuz I hate all the talk about nothing but babies and 'lady' talk...so I would really worry about me in one of those groups....

But it can't hurt to go saying all that! Just to help you feel you are doing everything you possibly can do.

I think I'm the type that would prefer to go off someplace in the corner on my own have the baby and then just reappear with it

Uh...not much help!
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2006, 09:35 AM
Originally Posted by myschievous
I knew I was supposed to be serious but because I knew that and because I am a bit of a P**s taker I just wanted to laugh uncontrollably at some of the things they got everyone doing...
We were exactly the same Only went to the first one I'm afraid, everybody was way too serious for me and because they were all nervous it made me the same, so we never went back

I'd say try it LS, you never know, there may be some really nice folk there, you've got nothing to lose and if it's not for you, just don't go back

You will get loads of info on mother and toddler groups, they are definately worth a peek for support after baby has arrived
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2006, 10:49 AM
at Mys and Ashlady - you two are exactly the same as me. I would either laugh or get really wound up by things and I don't want to practice positions in front of everyone. TBH I don't really want to know in too much detail what happens as I'll be worrying about it for the next few months and will probably try to delay labour . I'd rather know the basics as I do now and play it by ear when the time comes, kind of bury my head in the sand. I'm already having dreams about labour .

Babysitters Minda - now that sounds more like it!

OH doesn't want to go at all but will do it if I really want to. Still haven't made my mind up . I think I might give it a go and if I don't like the first one (with the cheesy introductions ) I won't go back and as some said, give the mum & baby groups a go afterwards.

Thanks for the chats.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >