Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rob
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

31-01-2006, 12:37 PM

I might need .............

..................a lot of help as I have just smoked my last ciggie so who has given up and how did you manage
minky
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2006, 12:40 PM
No, I'm not on commission from him but perhaps you should try one of Paul McKenna's cd's? I know he does one for smoking
Bodhi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2006, 12:42 PM
Change your routine!

Luckily, I was never a heavy smoker, and hadn't smoked for years, so I think that helped me stop.

I went on holiday for 2 weeks whenI stopped, so wasn't smoking. And being in a different place, doing different stuff, wasn't thinking about it. It's when you return home when you start thinking about it, as you associate certain places/people/times with cigs.

You need to find something to do to take your mind off it.

Also, I heard a great method was, everytime you want a ciggy, think, I'll have one in 10/20 mins. The time passes and you (hopefully) don't have one. Not my method, but one I have heard.

I think the habit of smoking is harder to break than the actual physical addiction. As long as you remember that, and combat that too, you should be fine and dandy
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2006, 01:08 PM
i quite sept 04. i found the chewing gum really helped plus the trick bodhi said, wait 10-20 mins and then wait again. also i had help from OH who HATED smoke so wouldnt come near me if i had one.

I had cut down previously but i kept the mentality that, if i wanted one i could have one, but CHOSE not to..My addiction didnt choose!

I still have one maybe every few months or so but i find i dont really like it anymore.
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2006, 01:10 PM
Tuti has, or should I say OOEE - she's done really well with it, well at least she had the last time we spoke about it, I'm sure she'd be happy to give you some tips
minky
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2006, 01:12 PM
Just had another thought - you can get free help from the docs these days - chewy etc. Worth a try if you're finding it tough
rob
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

31-01-2006, 01:31 PM
Originally Posted by minky
Just had another thought - you can get free help from the docs these days - chewy etc. Worth a try if you're finding it tough
Phoned them this morning thay are full till Monday morning so hopefully I will be over it by then
minky
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2006, 01:32 PM
Originally Posted by rob
Phoned them this morning thay are full till Monday morning so hopefully I will be over it by then
Get an appointment made. Monday isn't that far away.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2006, 01:35 PM
Hi Rob. I gave up in 1994 for 4 years, and then stupidly started again so I've given up again (January 2005). I'm over the first year, and have to say that, thanks to the patches from the doctor, it was a walk in the park. If you can't get to the doctor's till Monday, it may be worth investing in a pack. I know they're expensive, but cheaper than the fags, and they completely remove all craving. Good luck kid
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

31-01-2006, 01:45 PM
The thing i found the best Rob is that YOU have to want to pack up cause YOU want to not cause the doctor told you to not cause your OH wants you to it has to be YOU this will help a lot in the next few days.
Go see your GP and join the smoking clinic you'll get FREE patches or inhalers as long as you sign up and go back for check ups so they can keep a eye on you to see if you have been cheating on yourself cause thats all you'll be doing if you have a fag is cheating on yourself and not doing your selfasteam any good.

I used patches with the inhaler when i felt that i didn't need patches but needed a quick hit thats what got me through.

My OH went cold turkey saying it's all in the mind and he made it through as well.

It's ok asking what others did to get through Rob but you have got to find your own way through as have all the ex smokers out there have.
We will be here to help and support you in this every step of the way you just got to keep the strong posertive mental attitude all the time and sit there and think i can have a fag but i choose not to.

Stay away from high risk areas like the pub for afew weeks if you can just so you can control enviroment around you. The pub is o good test for you after you are fag free for abit.
You will smell what fags are like after a few weeks and let me tell you i was ashamed that i smelt like that it was horrible.

Good luck Rob you will make it just keep it positive
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >