View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tillytails
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-01-2006, 09:56 PM

What training method(s) have you used and would recommend ?

Following on from the Victoria Stilwell thread, I'm one of those who are totally confused about the various training methods. I've yet to get my first dog and am busy doing my research and I'm floundering when it comes to training. Even working out what they are and whether the different names are actually different methods or just marketing hype is a struggle. So far I've come across these:

clicker training and food bribery
positive reinforcment - Ian Dunbar, John Fisher ?
negative reinforcement / negative punishment
positive punishment
Amichein aka Pack theory, Dog Whisperer, Jan Fennell ?
crate training
Jolly routine ?

So wondering what methods people have used and what seems to work best. I'd love to have fun with my dog (probably a standard poodle) and have a go at things like flyball, agility and maybe even P.A.T., so training is going to be key. Any guidance would be very much appreciated!
lizziel
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-01-2006, 10:48 PM
We have used a crate with our pup since we had him at 10 weeks old and have found it really useful. Actually its not a commercially bought crate but one we made from a childs cot that we altered and adapted for the purpose.
As golden retrievers grow quite large and quite quickly we couldn't find one that was big enough to last for as long as might be needed. We cut the legs off, made a solid back and roof and hinged the ends to make doors. It has been brilliant to help with house training and he is put in there if we have to go out. We are home all day so he only has limited time in the crate but I regularly put him in it so that he is used to it and he has got used to it really quickly. He sleeps in it at night and, so far (hopefully not tempting fate!) he has always woken us up if he needs to go out in the night and we have had no accidents so far - he is almost 5 months old. We leave the door open during the day and he will often choose to go in it for a sleep even though he has access to our other rooms. It is also brilliant if you are doing something that you want to keep him away from - opening oven door etc.
I was not keen on the idea to begin with but it was suggested to us by the rescue centre he came from and has been a godsend - I would personally recommend one to anyone who has a puppy.
Sansorrella
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-01-2006, 11:00 PM
I use 'clicker training' and would thoroughly recommend it - it can be used to 'shape' a behaviour or 'trick' - it makes the dog think and instantly marks the correct behaviour and the reward gives the dog incentive.

Years and years ago I used to use the 'Barbara Woodhouse' school of thought (ok I'm showing my age now!), with the dreaded choke chains. Although this worked I found the reason it worked was that the dogs were afraid of me.

With clicker training you can build a close bond with your dog and I find all my dogs are much more relaxed, confident and they are willing to please me because they want to - not because they are afraid not to.

Having said that, I also use some of Jan Fennells methods - I take what I need from various sources and adapt them to what works for me and my dogs. Whatever method you use consistency is the key.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-01-2006, 12:41 AM
Confusing isn't it

Clicker training is excellent if you can get your timing spot-on. I prefer to use a marker word.

I train by positive reinforcement with food or praise rewards. Food treats are not used as "bribery" They may be used as a lure when shaping a new behaviour - once the behaviour is learned then food is randomly used as a reward. A game with a toy can also be a reward.

I never use physical or verbal punishment. If a correction is needed during training I usually say "not quite", or sometimes "noodle"

Like Sansorella I used choke chains way back when and, while they can be effective if correctly used, I find other techniques preferrable.

I do not subscribe to pack/alpha theory. There are more logical and satisfactory ways of gaining your dog's respect for you as a strong leader.

To an extent it will depend on the temperament and drives of the dog as to which training method is the most effective. However, kindness, firmness, fairness and consistency will bring the best results whatever method is chosen

PS. I would certainly crate train. A crate can be invaluable
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-01-2006, 12:47 AM
When training dogs I haven't really used a particular 'training method'.
Over the years I have learnt by trial and error and selected the things that work best for me
I have found dogs differ a great deal in temperament.. breed to breed and dog to dog and I think training should vary to take account of this. However for me some factors should remain the same whatever the dog , these are...
Patience, consistency, perseverance, logic, and trying to understand how a dog sees the world.
I think aggression of any kind verbal or physical has no place in training dogs, happy confident dogs learn by reward not fear.

Some of the methods I have used for many years have been given names and become fashionable, I have always used a 'reward the positive ignore the negative approach' when training .

We never stop learning, there are I am sure many ways to train dogs, I have never tried clicker training and hope to do so with my next puppy.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2006, 07:05 AM
When I got my first dog over 40 years ago the normal method was enforcement using a heavy metal choker & chain lead & the dog "made"to do everything with force(which was difficult for me as i had a very strong GSD bitch & I was all of 8 years old). I quickly learnt that force didn't work on her & with a policeman(not a dog handler)who was a trainer "before his time" we worked out a method using toys & praise

Some 6 years later I was asked to help a family friend train their GSD bitch, who had been to a "dog breaker" & who was terrified of collars & leads as a result(turns out the dog "breaker"used a chain choker to beat the dogs into obedience)

We had another trainer at the club, who had self taught himself to train his very nervous GSD(typical of the breed at the time)without touching him & in fact had the dog touching him to build up the dogs confidence. We devised between us(with Brian having the ideas & me trying them out)& eventually she(the friend's GSD)was confident enough to compete very successfully)We were at the time very much the outsiders when the likes of certain GSD "Gurus"in obedience were using chokers & the pull & force methods me using toys & treats were TBH laughed at. I haven't used anything other than a normal collar & lead with my dogs since then

Since then I have done all my home basic obedience off lead & using a normal collar & very light lead at training club. Some of my dogs have been food orientated & would be suitable for clicker training(which isn't new BTW as they have been used for over 100 years with "performing animals"), but I prefer to use my voice. My current puppy has no interest in food as training treats & I use a toy based hands off reward. In line with a lot of Obedience handlers I have found out over the past couple of years.

I have found that good basic obedience is needed for all dogs, no matter what discipline the dog is being aimed at.

Using a hands free training means the dog is with you because it wants to be not because it is forced to be by the use of a collar & lead. It is a harder method for the handler, but the result is a dog that will stay & return to the handler because it is pleasant & rewarding for the dog to do so. You do have to work hard at training without restraints, but it does build up an amazing bond between you & your dog

I start by teaching the dog to touch my hand for a reward(treat or toy)which is held in the hand & gradually build up the dog's concentration on me & add distractions slowly. I don't do training for things like heelwork, recall etc at training club until my dog has at least 5 minutes of concentration. I do take them to a training club for socialization from the first training night after I bring them home

No particular posh name for the technique other than off lead or hands free & not invented by me or anyone else really, it just sort of evolved
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2006, 08:09 AM
Joedee can you increase the size please, not able to read
Stephanie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2006, 09:15 AM
Im like Mini on this one and don't use a particular method, but too agree there are some common factors that all methods should share ie, consistency, patience, kindness, love and I too use the 'Praise the positive, ignore the negative' approach but I also use the 'set your dog up for success' approach too.

Murphy (Rottie) has taught me so much about dogs with a HUGE stubborn streak and selective hearing lol, compared to the eagerness to please of a GSD (my Jesse)
tillytails
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-01-2006, 05:33 PM
Originally Posted by Shadowboxer
Confusing isn't it
True.

Thanks everyone for all the info. I've now got John Fisher's book 'Think Dog!' on order and the Kennel Club have sent me a list of recognised trainers in my area plus info on the good citizen dog scheme. I reckon finding a good trainer will be my best bet as it seems training skills can only be gained through experience! It looks like a minefield out there and just a bit perturbing that you can get it wrong and then mess your dog up.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2006, 06:05 PM
I totally agree with Shadowboxer,Mini and Stephanie on this one routine, consistency, kindness and patience are the keys and a lot of common sense! You can't read enough books though, and hopefully when you've finished reading, you will come up with a training method that suits you and you think you can stick with, thereby being consistent with all your training routine. Good luck!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >