Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dinahsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2004, 10:42 AM

Staffies in France

Is it true staffies have to be muzzled in France?

Has anybody used the pet passport scheme to take their dog to the continent?

Would be glad to hear your experience.
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

03-10-2004, 11:46 AM
I've not heard this one b4
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2004, 12:11 PM
Ive heard it, i dont know if theres any truth in it, but my friend took her staffie to french with her, and she was apparently told to muzzle it, or it would be taken away....

Dinahsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2004, 01:19 PM
Found this on the French Tourist Office site. Doesn't realy answer the question but highlights that there might be a problem.

"DANGEROUS DOGS LIST The law of 6 January 1999 is aimed at avoiding accidents caused by dogs likely to be dangerous, classifying these into two categories. The list of dogs belonging to each category has been defined in the decree of 27 April 1999. These are its contents:

Within the 1st category of dogs called fighting dogs (pit bulls, boerbulls and dogs similar by their morphological characteristics to a pedigree Tosa). Entry into France by these dogs in the 1st category is completely prohibited.

Within the 2nd category of guard and protective dogs: pedigree dogs - American Staffordshire terrier, Rottweiler, Tosa… These dogs must be muzzled and kept on a lead. Dogs in the 2nd category can enter France with their owners, provided that their birth certificate and pedigree book are presented to the customs authorities, proving that they do in fact belong, for French Law, in
the 2nd category. "

Have also found this
"In France, the Government’s draftsmen even managed to get the breed names wrong. There, they introduced laws banning the Pitbull terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier and “Staffordshire Terrier”. This latter does not exist but to compound the error, they then issued documents and photographs of a variety of large, bully breeds and got many of them wrong. Eventually the French Government confirmed that the Staffordshire Bull Terrier is NOT considered a dangerous dog and is NOT covered by the new laws."

so I'm even more confused.

HEEEELLLLLPPPPPP

I'd still like to know if anyone has done it?
Dinahsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2004, 03:48 PM
Sorry for pushing this to the top again and excuse me if it's considered poor forum etiquette (?sp) but I'd be really grateful if anyone does know the rules.
Thanks
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

05-10-2004, 03:56 PM
You could always take muzzles to be on the safe side...

or, get in touch with the french embassy here and ask them if its true...

and if so, say u will not holiday there anymore unless they wake up!
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2004, 03:58 PM
I was gonna suggest contacting the embassy to find out too.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2004, 04:08 PM
it's so they don't drink and smoke all the duty free's !!!!!!!!! oh Inca on a roll today .........
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2004, 04:09 PM
sorry I do apologise
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2004, 04:23 PM
the british embassey site about taking pets abroad says:-

Dangerous breeds of dog

In the UK the following breeds of dog are banned: Pitbull Terrier; Japanese Tosa; Dogo Argentino; Dogo Braziliero; and cross breeds involving those breeds. In France, dangerous dogs are divided into two categories. Category 1 dogs, namely Pitbulls, Boerbulls and unregistered Tosas, may not be brought into France (they are defined as dogs resembling Staffordshire terriers, American Staffordshire terriers, Mastiffs or Tosas, but not registered with a breed society). Category 2 dogs must be kept muzzled and on a lead in public places: Staffordshire terriers, American Staffordshire terriers, Tosas and Rottweilers (all of which, except Rottweilers, must be registered with a breed society).

does say there they should be muzzled but whether any one does or not is another matter- and I dont know what the consequences of not muzzling are either
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >