Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2006, 10:54 AM

indie rushed to emergency vets (Head tremors) - help

i'll start from the beginning i think, always best,

basically yesterday afternoon indies head started trembling, like moving up and down rapidly. This went on for a couple of hours. I was at work at time so had to leave it to OH to make a decision about vets. Basically she was fine in herself and u could snap her out of it by saying her name. But it would happen every few seconds and stop every few seconds. Her eyes were normal and she was fully aware of her surroundings.
Well at about midnight last night she started doing it again, to the extent that it actually woke me up (she sleeps on our bed), and she was trying to sleep thru it bless her, but her head was trembling up and down really rapidly. So we rushed her to the emergency vets at 1am, she'd stop by this point as she only seemed to do it when she was quiet.

Basically the vet said one of her eyes doesnt respond as quickly as the other to light. And she thinks its something neurological and possibly leading to epilepsy but said to get referred to a neurologist. She gave her an injection of some sort of painkiller which is also a mild sedative which sorted her out for the night, she slept right thru. This morning she had a small 'episode', enough to wake me up, but only lasted a few minutes and then stopped, but was much less extreme than last night.

Anyway, phoned my normal vet this morning and explained what had happened and he said to see how she goes over the weekend, keep her quiet, so no walks or anything, and phone him monday. he said he could refer me to a neurologist and it would typically be the royal college of vets.
He reakons its either the beginning of some sort of epilepsy as he said it can begin in strange ways and not necessarily start with the whole body, or some other neurological thing, but he said if it wasnt epilepsy then theres little chance of actually being able to do anything about it. I think hes a bit stumped as its come on so suddenly and he said usually this sort of thing happens when a dogs been hit by a car or something. He suggested perhaps something like a brain tumour but very rare so doubts it. But basically said if it is neurological then its all to do with brain tissue and depends if the brain tissue is already damaged. but he said the neurologist will probably do an mri scan, which can sometimes come up inconclusive.

he advised not to worry obv and take it one day at a time and not to think too far ahead at this point as it could be anything. He said hes never heard of anything like this before although hes seen alot of strange brain things.

so as u can imagine im really worried, feel like crying

shes really quiet this morning, ive bought her a new toy, but not worked her up about it as he said not to get her worked up.

not sure what else to say, but i cant think about anything else right now, im worried sick and im back at work tomorrow

in a way im hoping its either nothing and it'll go, or its epilepsy, as at least its dealable with tablets. can anyone tell me how a dog lives with epilepsy? does someone have to be with them all the time? what happens if they have a seizure when ur not there.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

07-01-2006, 11:05 AM
Sorry to hear Indie is not well,hope everything goes ok for you and that it is nothing too serious.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2006, 11:07 AM
Sorry to hear about this Jenny

Lots of people on here, including Snorri will be able to give good advice about Epilepsy.
Saz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2006, 11:12 AM
Omg Jenny, you must be beside yourself with worry!! I would be!!

So sorry, I will keep my thoughts with Indie and hope it is nothing that can't be sorted.

Big Hug Jenny

Saz
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-01-2006, 11:17 AM
So sorry to hear this, fingers crossed everything will be OK. xxx
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

07-01-2006, 11:24 AM
Sorry to hear about Indie, must have given you a fright & you`re still so upset

Try not to worry too much, I know it won`t be easy but Indie will pick up on your anxiety.

Wait till you see the neurologist & try & stay positive

Heres a couple of links with good info on epilepsy & siezures, hope things stay quiet over the w/end for Indie & you

http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-angels.com/

http://www.canine-epilepsy.com/healthydiet.html
Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-01-2006, 11:30 AM
Keep your chin up Jenny, I'm sure you must be so very worried. I can't help with the epilepsy thing but I send you my best wishes and love to Indie.XXXXX
AnneX
Annestaff
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-01-2006, 11:41 AM
Oh no poor Indie and you

Hope everything works out and she's going to be ok
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2006, 12:01 PM
Jenny I can PM you if you like I have two friends who have/had dogs with epilepsy and I could put you in contact with them if you'd like? They are very friendly and would know more about it as they have seen it first hand, I know you must be really worried but if it is epilepsy it's not as bad as it sounds in most cases. Let me know hun, big hugs to you and Indie xxxxxx
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2006, 12:11 PM
i found this site on head tremors. so perhaps its not a start of epilepsy? the vet didnt mention this at all,so maybe its not common? any ideas?

http://www.vetinfo.com/dheadtremor.html
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »