View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Zeus
Dogsey Junior
Male 

23-12-2005, 07:10 PM

I would like to train dogs, any advice please.

Would like to get into dog training, but there are no good dog trainers locally. I was curious whether anyone had any suggestions. I have bought a few books including a dog training book for myself for Christmas but i not long ago bought "Culture Clash" which i've just started to read which is OK so far but it's had good reviews.

I would like to try the basics with someone and dogs, i do own a dog (CKCS) but she isn't in the mood most of the time to do training... she's a spoilt girl lol.

Just wondered whether anyone had any advice on what i could do.

Thanks,

Zeus
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-12-2005, 07:45 PM
Do you mean you want to become an instructor ?
Abbey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-12-2005, 07:49 PM
This website may help? http://www.bipdt.net/about.htm
Zeus
Dogsey Junior
Male 

23-12-2005, 07:54 PM
Well i'd like to learn some of the basics properly, i've only read them in books but never really tried them out and would like to be guided and be put too use, but there's nowhere good around that can teach me.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-12-2005, 08:04 PM
One of the first thing you need to be able to do before even thinking about teaching others how to train their dogs is to be able to train your own dog.

There is no substitute for wxperience I'm afraid. I know of a good few people who have done college courses etr & got qualifications of the highest level 7 still cannot train their own dogs. They may know the theory but in practical terms they are less than useless. I had one ask me how long it took & how I trained my then 13 week old puppy to retrieve when their 5 year old dog still couldn't(& they had been training her for 4 1/2 years) Now play retrieve is one of the basic ways to interact with a dog yet after three years at college they had not mastered it with their own dog !

There are at least a couple of good dog clubs in North Wales BTW
sportsmonki
New Member!
Female 

23-12-2005, 08:15 PM
The best way to learn, IMO, is to join a good dog training club/school. Not only will the instructors help you train your own dog, but you can learn a lot by listening to what the instructors tell others and watching how others train/work their dogs. it may also be possible to look into going on a course with your dog, especially if the nearest decent dog training club to you is a fair distance away.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-12-2005, 08:46 PM
This link may help you find what you are looking for, you may have to travel a bit of a distance but if you can manage that it may well be well worth the effort.
Zeus
Dogsey Junior
Male 

23-12-2005, 09:50 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone

Im also very interested in dog behavioural aspects and problem solving, but some good foundation of canine obedience and other training would have to come into it too, i guess.
Scottish Mags
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-12-2005, 10:03 PM
I would go to a registered Dog Trainer first to train yourself to train your dog . You do learn a lot there. I then would ask the trainer how or where you go to train to be a trainer and also registered.
May I wish you the best of luck
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-12-2005, 11:57 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK
One of the first thing you need to be able to do before even thinking about teaching others how to train their dogs is to be able to train your own dog.
I agree, preferably to a high standard, and if you have 'difficult' dogs and succeed in spite of that, then so much the better - it will enable you to understand the problems of others. Theory can teach you only so much, actual experience is very important. Also, an instructor must be able to think on his/her feet, have eyes in the back of his/her head, have a good knowledge of canine body language and behaviour, and have considerable 'people skills' as it is generally the handlers who are the problem, not the dogs

Hope you find what you are looking for.