View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2005, 08:22 AM

Not herself - can dogs catch human colds?

Brandie doesn't seem to be her normal happy self this morning
She hasn't been sick and there's no diarrhoea, she just seems a bit.....off.
Is it possible for dogs to catch human colds? My dad has been feeling a bit ill lately.
She didn't get excited about her walk or her breakfast And just seems to be moping about.
I gave her a cuddle hopefully she will perk up later.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2005, 08:39 AM
No, dogs can't catch the human cold. But I would keep an eye on her, look for things like is she eating as normal, is she drinking more or less than usual, is she a bit stiff when she gets up, does she want to go for her walk, is she laying down with extra care. If she has not improved by tommorow or if you are worried then the vets will be best because you don't want anything flaring up whilst they are shut over Christmas.
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2005, 11:09 AM
Maybe she's coming into season or something?

How old is she?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-12-2005, 12:20 PM
Hi BrandieSnap always take note of any change in your dogs behaviour, like us they can have 'off days' or could be starting with an illness.
As Tuti says she could be due in season, is she spayed and when did she have her last season..?
In addition to the things Thordell has advised to watch for..are there any discharges from anywhere, is she peeing more that usual, will she let you run your hands over her tummy and does it feel hard or seem painful, do her eyes look clear and bright, does she feel warmer than normal..and yes dogs can have a warm dry nose when ill due to a raised temperature ...(though a warm nose does not always mean they are ill)
If she is still unwell later or not eating please see the vet.
Hope she is better later
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2005, 12:27 PM
Cassie's a bit like that today. Think she's just knackered. Eating fine, going to the loo fine, went for her walk ok but not as boisterous as usual and didn't want to get out of bed this morning
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2005, 02:50 PM
Other than everything people have said to look out for, Takara has days like this where she just can't seem bothered.

It's normally when she's had a big day the day before, or if she was hyper that day. It's almost as if she's coming down from a natural high and it's a bit of an anticlimax...

Perhaps you could give her lots of cuddles but also try training her, obviously she may not be bothered but if you get something extra tasty and get really excited about teaching her a new trick, she might perk up, if Takara learns a new trick and I get really excited she usually perks up a bit!

That's if it's just an off day of course! keep an eye on all the symptoms as well!

Hope she feels better later xx
BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2005, 04:23 PM
Thanks everyone We just went for a walk and she seemed to be enjoying herself more. Her toilet was fine, she was trotting about as usual. Perked up a lot when she spotted another dog

She is spayed. i don't know anything about her seasons because she was already spayed when I got her. I think she had it done as a puppy, she's about 4 now.
I checked for the things mentioned and I haven't noticed anything wrong with her. She doesn't seem in pain, her nose is cold, not drinking any more or less than usual, and she ate her breakfast fine just didn't seem very excited about it.

I did a bit of training on her walk and she seemed happy about that. She likes to be doing things (and getting treats) and she seemed he normal self while we were out. It's just at home she seems a bit down.
I thought it could be that she can sense things happening to do with christmas. She doesn't like change and can usually tell when something is going on.

I will keep an eye on her and see whether she gets excited about dinner.
Thankyou for all the advice
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2005, 04:39 PM
Could very well be Christmas upheaval by the sounds of things. We've been checking Cassie too to make sure she's ok but just seems a bit lethargic. See how she was this afternoon when I get home. Just don't think she likes to be up at 6, mind you neither do I LOL
Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2005, 05:09 PM
Hope Brandie feels her normal self soon!
BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2005, 05:14 PM
Getting up at that time would make me a bit lethargic too wufflehoond! Poor cassie, hope she feels better soon too.
I'm about to feed brandie so I'll see how she reacts.

Thanks miss Potter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >