View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
otis
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-12-2005, 06:30 PM

Upset stomach - do i give chicken and rice again?

Otis has had a poorly tum since wednesday. I gave him chicken and rice on thursday and starved him friday. he seemed better so i gave him his burns today but he has a poorly tum again. Shall i give him chicken and rice again?

Will that be enough for him? He is starving?

jx
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-12-2005, 06:45 PM
Originally Posted by otis
Otis has had a poorly tum since wednesday. I gave him chicken and rice on thursday and starved him friday. he seemed better so i gave him his burns today but he has a poorly tum again. Shall i give him chicken and rice again?

Will that be enough for him? He is starving?

jx
Hi Jodie what do you mean by a poorly tummy ..does Otis have vomiting and diahorrea, if the upset tummy was on wednesday, the day to starve him was thursday really. If his tummy is still upset he should really see the vet on Monday, if he is vomiting I would give nothing only small amount of water at a time until you see the vet , if diahorrea I would give white fish and rice or chicken and rice but only a small amount at a time and the same with water.
janet68
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-12-2005, 06:53 PM
Hi
When any of my dogs has an upset tummy my vet has told me to starve for one whole day and then give chicken and rice for a week and then introduce normal food again slowly. When ever this has happened I have followed what vet has said and everything has been fine.
otis
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-12-2005, 07:00 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha
Hi Jodie what do you mean by a poorly tummy ..does Otis have vomiting and diahorrea, if the upset tummy was on wednesday, the day to starve him was thursday really. If his tummy is still upset he should really see the vet on Monday, if he is vomiting I would give nothing only small amount of water at a time until you see the vet , if diahorrea I would give white fish and rice or chicken and rice but only a small amount at a time and the same with water.

Hang on, think i got my days wrong. On wednesday he had soft poo's. Thursday he still had soft poo and he couldn't hold it and poo'd in the kitchen which is not like him. Friday i starved him. Saturday gave him chicken and rice then he poo'd normal so today i gave him Burns for his breakfast but tonight his poo's are very soft again - not water more like Mr Whippy (sorry). No vomiting. Do i give burns for dinner or chicken and rice?

jx
Meg
Supervisor

18-12-2005, 07:08 PM
Hang on, think i got my days wrong. On wednesday he had soft poo's. Thursday he still had soft poo and he couldn't hold it and poo'd in the kitchen which is not like him. Friday i starved him. Saturday gave him chicken and rice then he poo'd normal so today i gave him Burns for his breakfast but tonight his poo's are very soft again - not water more like Mr Whippy (sorry). No vomiting. Do i give burns for dinner or chicken and rice?
jx
Hi Jodie ..back to the fish rice /chicken and rice (I prefer white fish, todays chickens have a high fat content and you are trying to avoid fat and just give starch and protein ) .Janet is right best to keep Otis on it for a number of days and then return to a complete dried food slowly, you should always do it slowly because complete food is dehydrated and the dogs tummy needs time to adjust . If the diahorrea continues you should see the vet in case there is an under laying problem .
otis
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-12-2005, 07:19 PM
Ok thanks gals

i will give him chicken and rice for a couple of days and see if he improves. Obviously i dont want him to be poorly over xmas as we are visiting family. So i will give him until wednesday.

How much chicken and rice do i give? a chicken breast and a sachet of rice for dinner and same for breakfast ?
Meg
Supervisor

18-12-2005, 07:33 PM
Ok thanks gals

i will give him chicken and rice for a couple of days and see if he improves. Obviously i dont want him to be poorly over xmas as we are visiting family. So i will give him until wednesday.

How much chicken and rice do i give? a chicken breast and a sachet of rice for dinner and same for breakfast ?
I don't know what a sachet of rice is, proper untreated white long grain rice is best not the quick cook stuff because you want the proper starch content ..give the normal daily food allowance the puppies age divided between the number of meals he has per day ..
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

19-12-2005, 06:33 AM
Hiya, agree with M, bland diet for a few days then slowly imtroduce normal diet.
For example, if he has a cup of food twice daily, I`d give a quater of cup mixed with ch/rice in the morning, if he`s ok with that by the evening, then add another quarter to ch/rice in the evening. If he`s ok following day add a bit more & so on till he`s back on normal diet altogether.

Heres a link about it

http://www.wellvet.com/diarrheadog.html

I buy & cook a whole chicken cos when they have d/rear they`re going to be on it for a few days so saves doing it daily & its cheaper Once its cooked & cooled I remove the bones. When the cooking liquid gets cold the fat will be on the top in a solid block, just take it off & keep in fridge till hes better, then he can have a litte each day with his food when he`s better.
I cook the rice in the chicken stock, mix with the meat when its done & its all ready for the next few days
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2005, 06:55 AM
Poor Otis - hope you see an improvement very soon