Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Nade
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-12-2005, 02:56 PM

One + one makes...?

Hi Everyone.

Ernie my JRt terrier is now 7 months old. He thrives on canine company so I have been loking at geting him a friend from a rescue place. I have had house check and I am driving the 2 hours to go and have look on saturday. After a long disucssion with the owner ofthe rescue place, she say she has a fwe that would met my requirements anre more importantly, we would met theres!

I ahve a couple of wories though.

Firstly, Ernie is my life and I love him to bits, I don't want him to feel jealous. How do I deal with them both being excited when I get home? Who do I cuddle first? Who sits next to me on the sofa? (Ok, of I get another one then I suppose thy both could!)

I have never had two before.

As I said, I love Ernie to the end of the world and I do feel that I could never love another like I do him but I supose that peopel have two kids and love both of them?

Am I worrying un necessary?

Obvuously I am taking Ernie with me to look at the dogs and make sure that they get on but can anyone point me in the direction of introducing dogs well? I am sure that I won't have any problems with them fighting as Ernie LOVES EVERY other dog. When can I risk leaving them together on my own?

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good web site?

I just want to get it right. The poor rescue dogs have had enought to deal with already and Ernie is just spolit!

Thanks
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2005, 03:37 PM
I've had a couple of rescue's and introducing them to my other dog was never a problem. We treated them the same, it sort of comes naturally. A few rules did change, eg as there was now 2 of them neither were allowed on the sofa, neither were allowed to sleep upstairs.

Are you getting a dog or bitch?
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2005, 03:38 PM
Sorry but i can't be of much use,but i'm sure someone will be along shortly with some good advice
Sal
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-12-2005, 03:52 PM
Hi Nade a few suggestions..
introduce them on neutral territory,
when you get home take the new dog in first then Earnie,
remove all Earnies toys or anything that could start a fight,
feed them separately to begin with,
give them 'space' to get to know each other..do not pay more attention to one than the other,
allow neither on to the sofa when they are together,

As to when you can leave them alone depends on how things go and the age and sex of your rescue dog.
Please come back and say how you are getting on and we will update the advice and don't forget the pictures !
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-12-2005, 07:59 PM
Just an observation Nade

Just because Ernie loves to play with other dogs doesn't necessarily mean that he needs another dog for company at home. Many dogs, even though they enjoy canine company, prefer to be the only dog in the household. Of course, you won't know if this is the case with Ernie until you get another. But don't get a second dog "for Ernie". The only reason to get another dog is that you want another