View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gaz webber
Dogsey Senior
Male 

26-11-2005, 05:35 PM

The Most Important Debate of the year - does Christmas start too early?

Right.
We've had debates on George Best, Gary Glitter, rape, smacking.....but now the most important question of the year so far.
Is it right to put flippin' Xmyth decorations up in November?
When are yours going up?

My own opinion. *Dons official Scrooge Mc'Scrooge of the Clan Mc'Scrooge headwear*

Look at the name November. It has the word No at the beginning!
Xmyth decorations should go up at 1am 23rd December. Carol Singers should be out and about between 6pm and 8pm December 24th (when, incidentally, I am hiding under the duvet until they go away).
Turkeys should come in *There's just enough here for one family for one day* size.
And at midnight on Boxing Day, after Sound of Music, White Xmyth and, probably either/or Mary Poppins or Chitty Chitty Bang Bang have played out on the Beeb, the batteries have gone flat on the childrens infernal toys, grandma has sucked the chocolate off all the chocolate coated brazils ( a tip for you, never accept a nut from a toothless person, especially if that particular nut is available covered in chocolate in a gift box!) then the tree, decorations, wrapping paper, cards and old relatives should be boxed, packaged and shoved back up in the loft for another year. If you don't have a loft, then get one!

Cough. *Removes head gear*
That's my opinion....
Annestaff
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-11-2005, 05:41 PM
Bah humbug! Gaz you crack me up :smt044

Got to agree though, decorations seem to go up earlier and earlier each year. I noticed a few houses near us never took their lights down. They were nver switched on during the year but icicles hanging from your gutter in the middle of summer is definatly a no no
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2005, 05:43 PM
Sounds like my x-mas Gaz! lol

Bah Humbug
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

26-11-2005, 05:44 PM
Well, we shall certainly be having the decency to wait until at least a little while into December before bringing a tree into the house, then confusing Jake by telling him he's not allowed to pee up it!
Gaz webber
Dogsey Senior
Male 

26-11-2005, 05:46 PM
Originally Posted by rich c
Well, we shall certainly be having the decency to wait until at least a little while into December before bringing a tree into the house, then confusing Jake by telling him he's not allowed to pee up it!
Heehee!

You just reminded me of Willow's bemused but earnest attempt to male hen [1]her leg at a tree the other day. Dunno why she tried, and she widdled on her leg, then fell over.....

[1]Argh! Dratted net nanny!
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-11-2005, 05:56 PM
Perhaps not as much of a humbug - ger as that (had to watch out for the net-nanny there!), but I agree you have a point!

Kissmiss dex shouldn't go up for at least another two weeks or so. We're used to shops ever trying to bring Kissmiss nearer, so that we poor s*ds can be encouraged to pay for more shareholder champagne on the twotyfifth (BJ Day?)

As for turkeys, you can't get them here for love or money, they seem to have been banned because of this bird flu B/S (this year, the turkeys ARE voting for Christmas!).

The earlier the Kissmiss lights go on, the more your electricity bill goes up and the more of the wee bulbs go (and can you get flippin' spares these days? You're supposed to buy a whole new set, and destroy your Kissmiss tree when you have to take them off and replace them)!

Outdoor icicle lights? Up here, they're very popular for the local shops, because they blow away so easily (or come to bits, which tangle up in your washing - always assuming you can hang it out, of course).

I heard it said once that "If God hadn't existed, it would have been necessary for Man to invent him!". So, if God is invented, he has to have a birthday invented, too. I'll bet a shopkeeper thought of that one!

Snorri
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-11-2005, 06:34 PM
I agree with the other humbugs in the jar ...there is too much Christmas and it goes on for too long.

Gone are those wonderful days when we went across my uncles field on Christmas eve armed with a sharp axe to cut down a holly tree. We always had a holly Christmas tree and it looked magnificent with tiny candles lit and reflected in the shiny leaves.

The cards and decorations also went up on Christmas eve and were removed on twelfth night....the only early preparation was making the gifts cake, puddings and mincemeat. All so much more enjoyable than the artificial Christmases of today.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-11-2005, 06:43 PM
i have had it drummed into me from a young age 12 days before 12 days after........lol
except 12 days before is my lads birthday.
so we give or take 1. my mum would do her nut if she knew........opppppssss good job she isnt on the net.
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2005, 06:55 PM
Yep I belong in the Scrooge club too

Am not going anywhere NEAR central London until at least February!

Shall we all stay in this thread grumbling until it's all over?
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

26-11-2005, 07:46 PM
Must admit it gets earlier and earleir,and by Christmas you have had enough.
So my decs will not be going up till about the the about the 12th Dec.
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 > Last »