Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Zeus
Dogsey Junior
Male 

20-11-2005, 06:16 PM

Huskies, ease of training?

Just curious to know how hard Huskies are to train? I have been told that they are trainable but not the type of dog you can let off the lead. My friend is thinking of getting one and im just trying to collect some information and advice on the breed, if there are any husky owners on the message board that would care too share their advice and experiences me and my friend would appricate it
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2005, 07:32 PM
Hiya - I have never had a husky so cannot answer your question, but this is a good and informative website about huskies where you may get some of the answers you need.

[Mod Edit: Link removed:No links to other forums:]

I have heard they cannot be let off lead due to their strong desire to run, and run and run! Also that they will worry and kill livestock given the opportunity. These two points have been enough to put me off ever owning one, even though I think they are incredibly beautiful.
Zeus
Dogsey Junior
Male 

20-11-2005, 07:41 PM
Thanks for the advice, i'll check the link too , any other members owning a Husky some adivce would be appricated
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2005, 10:15 PM
I own Alaskan Malamutes, there are similarities between the siberian husky and The Alaskan Malamute, they both have high prey drive for starters, so livestock is not too safe with them about if they are loose, they should never be allowed off lead unless in a totally enclosed area, for a few reasons, they will run and run and run, also they have very selective hearing when off lead, and very headstrong, they are NOT a breed for everyone, people tend to want them because of films such as snowdogs or Iron will, and dont take the time to research them, they can get bored extremely easy, so can be quite destructive, if that energy is not used up, they do better if worked in harness, huskies normally enjoy being in a pack, but a singleton can do very well so long as they have plenty of company and last but not least they need LOADS OF EXERCISE, once fully grown. what I must also say is to contact the siberian Husky club of GB the link has already been given, they will probably have a recommended breeders list, whatever you do / or your friend do that is, is buy from the free adds certain breeders have jumped on the snowdogs bandwagen and are breeding for the sake of breeding and not for the betterment of the breed, and in most cases, should your friend have any problems the breeder will no longer be around. good luck.

mo

PS forgot to add, yes they can be trained as they are highly intelligent, but because of their intelligence, they will question why you want them to do things, and their selective hearing can come into play.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2005, 12:24 AM
Moobli's link will have pretty much everything your friend will need to know.

Huskies are one of my favourite breeds and I was seriously considering getting one, until I went on to the breed website and saw some of the "disadvantages"! They can't be let off the lead (usually), dig huge holes, jump 6 foot fences and destroy your house when your not there. Despite this I still want one - one day.

Glad you're doing some research for your friend as, like Mo said, they're not the ideal dog for everyone.
Vix
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-11-2005, 09:25 PM
I have a husky. I think the main point that new owners need to consider is their need for lots of exercise and mental stimulation. I'm talking everyday in all weather. Generally letting them off in a no go so that means lots of exercise for the owner too. These dogs are quick and they have stamina. It wouldn't take long for them to be out of sight or under a car/train/lorry. Generally they jump high, dig deep and need lots of attention. Mind you they are cuddly and very people friendly. I would get your friend to contact some breeders and siberian husky club for more details and advice. It's a good idea to meet as many specimans of the breed as possible. Good luck.
SibeLuver03
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-11-2005, 12:25 AM
I also own two Siberian huskies. I will tell you now they are the best dogs in the world, in my opinion. They are my best friends (as are all of our dogs). A lot of great points have been said already. So I will tell you something not mentioned yet.

Huskies shed. A lot. No, you're not thinking right. I'm really talking a lot. Repeat after me: Siberian huskies shed. A lot. Period. If your friend isn't willing to pick random hairs off of clothing, beds, tables, food, water, pop, floors, their own mouths, he needs to rethink ever owning a husky.

I just want to make this point clear. Siberian huskies have a ton of hair and it is absolutely mind boggling how much hair they will shed. Usually they have heavy sheds twice a year, but for mine, they shed all year round as well as twice a year heavy sheds.

I'm not kidding when I say that I have found husky hairs in places you would never imagine. The hair gets everywhere. Please let your friend know this, it is very important. Some people rehome dogs just because they can't handle the hair, even if the dog is the most obedient dog in the world.

Other than that, most points have already been covered. If you have any questions you'd like to ask, feel free to message me or anyone else! =) Good luck to you and your friend!

-Tara
Vix
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-11-2005, 07:51 PM
Hi sibelover not seen you on here in AGES!! Good point about shedding. I also heard that people have been known to be allergic to Husky fur although they've kept dogs all their life.
Zeus
Dogsey Junior
Male 

23-11-2005, 08:33 AM
Thanks for the advice everyone, i've jotted down some points and im going to check out the web link that Moobli suggested

I think the Husky is a wonderfull breed too, but i'll let my friend to know that he has to consider all the facts, advantages and disadvantages before even starting to look.

Zeus
flow-wolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-12-2005, 09:55 PM
I own a Alaskan Malamute,which are very similar looking to the Siberian Husky.

I can tell you mine is wonderful,very loving,fantastic off the lead although she tends to chase every dog in the park cos all she wants to do is play.....

Very destructive though,ripped right through my sofa,massive holes in the garden....i have no grass no more.. ,dont leave clothes,socks,shoes etc lying around or else they'll have em....mine eats my partners socks,lol....he's not a happy bunny right now....but she sits there and does the puppy dog eyes routine at him....so funny

I wouldnt recommend one of these dogs unless you have read up on the breed.

Oh yes and they lose quite a lot of hair too,my house was covered when mine first shed her hair...it was everywhere,my carpets are full of it,it gets in your sheets,bedding,cushions....watch out for it blocking the hoover up too...
You never get rid of the stuff.....

Other than that....mine is a fabulous dog,loves kids,attention.....but loves to laze around