View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2005, 01:34 PM

Fern not eating/odd behaviour, is he teething?

Fern has refused to eat his food - infact he wouldn't go in the crate, just sniffed around, then went in, decided no thanks and that was it

From last night he has been acting a bit strange, he whimpered alot during the night, as well as bark.

He is also chewing stuff that he knows he is not allowed to chew so this leads me to think that he is teething???

Anyway I'm not sure what quite to do,all his toys are out, he won't touch his dry food at all.

Any suggestions, if I've got it right that he is teething can you suggest anything to make it easier on him? I'm thinking of giving him some rice and fish to eat to help?

What do you think?

Thanks
Joanne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-11-2005, 01:51 PM
I remember my boys teething, I found several of their teeth on the floor!

What I did was, as they eat dry food too, was just dampen it a bit with some warm water from the kettle so it wasn't as crunchy, they ate it fine when it was slightly musher.

Also gave them ice cubes to play/chew as someone told me that with them being cold it helps numb their sore gums? They both still love getting ice cubes now?!!

Dont know if this is any use, but hopefully Fern starts eating up his grub soon!!

Joanne
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2005, 02:02 PM
Joanne that's a great idea with the ice cubes, think I'll add a organic chicken stock cube to the mixture to make it interesting for him

Thank you that's brilliant!
Joanne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-11-2005, 02:06 PM
Yeah I have also put a bit of bisto gravy granules in with the warm water once or twice, but even though they love it I know that there is probably far to much salt in it for them!
Ben then has a really messy beard when hes finished- have to wipe him up like a wee baby!!

Roll on tea time!!
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2005, 04:32 PM
How long does teething go on for?
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2005, 04:55 PM
Teething continues until all the teeth are fully erupted & the back teeth are always last so it varies from dog to dog usually by 6 months most of the baby teeth are out(JD hung on to his canines until his 1st birthday )
Rjj loves his partly thawed (raw)organic pigs trotter & chicken portions(he likes frozen raw fish too ) I give him them frozen & he spends ages gnawing away on them & at 6 months he's still cutting his back teeth
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2005, 11:05 PM
Thanks for the info Joedee, really great to know