View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
hartleyhare
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-11-2005, 09:15 AM

Dog on Fish and Potato diet/cheap options?

Nell has been put on a white fish and potato diet , ( not fish n chips ) i went and brought some cod the other day from the supermarket and made up her meals , i am going to venture out this morning to the pet shop to see if they sell frozen fish i mean £ 3.40 a day for the cods a bit steep lmao , shes got to be on this diet for 6 weeks and to be honest im worried that shes not getting enough , hopefully the huge bald patch that shes got on her side will get better , and in 6 weeks she can have a skin test apparently , but what to feed her after that im unsure , i know that there are hypo allergic diets ,and i guess that we have to see but for Nells sake lets hope she dont have to stay on this forever !
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-11-2005, 09:43 AM
hi Hartlyhare do you have a fishmongers or instore fish shop? If so ask for the cheapest white fish like 'coley', also some of the supermarkets have offers on frozen white fish and it is much cheaper to buy the packs of 8 pieces.

Also go to a greengrocer and buy a sack of potatoes ,it's much cheaper
hartleyhare
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-11-2005, 09:49 AM
Hi mini , thanks for your reply, poor nells crying all the time i hope shes not hungry i did get a sack of spuds , so they will last her a while , but shes constantly crying
Meg
Supervisor

07-11-2005, 10:45 AM
Originally Posted by hartleyhare
Hi mini , thanks for your reply, poor nells crying all the time i hope shes not hungry i did get a sack of spuds , so they will last her a while , but shes constantly crying
Poor little dog did the vet specify amounts of each and portions? If not try giving a bit more potato, the starch will fill her up
hartleyhare
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-11-2005, 01:08 PM
shes not eating the potato just the fish the pots are just flying round the kitchen .I have been and brought some wafcol salmon and potato i know i shouldnt but shes a sad little nellus
Meg
Supervisor

07-11-2005, 01:16 PM
shes not eating the potato just the fish the pots are just flying round the kitchen .I have been and brought some wafcol salmon and potato i know i shouldnt but shes a sad little nellus
Hartleyhare How can they be flying around the kitchen? If you mash the two together this is not possible... She must have both or she will be starving hungry on fish alone.
If you feed a commercial food that may contain additives when the vet has advised an exclusion diet it may negate the results.
hartleyhare
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-11-2005, 01:19 PM
the vet said not to mash it but to give it her in chunks as mashed with the fish it would be too gagging for her to eat as we couldnt add anything to help it be more palatable .Going to ring the vets before i give her the other food ,
Meg
Supervisor

07-11-2005, 01:26 PM
the vet said not to mash it but to give it her in chunks as mashed with the fish it would be too gagging for her to eat as we couldnt add anything to help it be more palatable .Going to ring the vets before i give her the other food ,
Ok another option is to mash them together and roll it into tiny fish balls
hartleyhare
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-11-2005, 01:33 PM
yes i can try that the other thing that i did the other day was peel them and bake the peels to see if she would eat them as a treat