View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
khart
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-11-2005, 11:12 AM

Strange toilet habits! Won't wee on walks & does not lift his leg yet - why not?

Hi Everyone, My adorable Archer, perfect in everyway apart from his toilet habits, or should I say the non existing toilet habits!!

Firstly he is now coming up 7 months and still wont rise his leg... Is this normal, I thought by now he would be getting tired of squatting!

Secondly, He will not got for a wee or anything else whilst out walking. I have tried coaxing him being patient with him and not moving from the spot until he does, ( but I end up standing there for over 20 mins) Still nothing. He will not "go" anywhere else apart from the back garden.
It is very odd, Archer is normally very good at going on command, last thing at night sometimes I don't even have to say "wee" and he knows what to do, so I know its not because he's being daft.

What else can I do to try and make him do it coz I know as soon as he does it once it will happen all the time?

It's very amusing at the moment but I can see long journeys being a problem in the future if it carries on.

Kate
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2005, 11:30 AM
Yes its quite normal for him not to lift his leg. It usually happens about 7 months or so but some dogs squat all their lives. My GSD used to squat down and hardly ever lifted his leg at all (think he was scared of falling over ) I am sure as he gets more confident as he gets older he will start weeing outside whilst on a walk. He will probably want to scent mark where other dogs have been so I wouldn't worry about it yet - he's still a young puppy

Large dogs take longer to mature than smaller dogs and I'm certain in another couple of months or so you won't have this problem at all
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-11-2005, 11:54 AM
Hi khart I agree with Foxy, Archer is still a baby and should lift his leg when more mature ...maturity varies from breed to breed, my friends lab Chester was over a year old before he lifted his leg

When Archer matures a little he will be more eager to mark his territory when out on walks, enjoy him while he is small!
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2005, 11:58 AM
Our boy Paddy has never lifted his leg and he's 2.1/2 now, I think living with the girls he's a bit hen pecked and thinks he's a girl too, so squats for a wee! Plus he won't do either when we take him out, he comes back to the garden and uses the same spot every time.
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2005, 12:04 PM
my two were about 6-7mths when they started to lift there legs but often they will both squat i think on there half its ooh i cant be bothered sitting is easier it will come be patient
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2005, 12:53 PM
Not odd behaviour as the others have said. Friend of ours had a border terrier (female) who only ever weed while doing a hand(paw)stand! Back legs up in the air, balancing on front legs, wee everywhere. Never seen anything like it in my life.!!!!
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2005, 01:42 PM
Teagan only used to go to the toilet in the garden...she wouldn't do ANYTHING unless she was in the back garden!

When she started her first season, thats when she first went on a walk - thats how I knew she had started her season! lol
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-11-2005, 01:52 PM
Finn started to lift his leg around 7 to 8 months but even now at nearly 9 months he only lifts it 50% of the time and a lot of those times he falls over