View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
otis
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-10-2005, 08:29 AM

What vegetables can I give raw / cooked?

Hi All

After reading Tuti's thread regarding how many meals a day we feed our dogs, i was just wondering if anyone can tell what veg i can feed Otis.

At the moment he gets fed his burns in the morning and evening. He also gets a kong filled with carrots and apple with a tiny bit of peanut butter.

Other treats he gets is cheese when we do our clicker training.

Last night i had some cooked brocoli left over from dinner and didn't know if he was allowed it. So i gave him a tiny bit and he loved it. He was begging for more but because i didn't know if it was ok to give him i put the rest in the bin!

So the question is, what veg can i give raw and what veg can i give cooked?

Jodie x
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

28-10-2005, 09:43 AM
Yep broccoli is v good for them

If you feed the veg raw it has to be liquidised first but if its been cooked its ok like that Just about anything you have you can give him, not onions tho, but if you have left overs of a meal with normal amount of them in it, that`d be ok I don`t give mine raw spuds but if I have mash/boiled/baked left over I give it them They can also have fruit as well, but not grapes

Heres a link
http://www.mercola.com/2005/jan/8/antioxidants_pet.htm
http://www.touchmoon.com/dotters/raw/index.shtml
http://www.puritan.com/vf/healthnote...tent=All_Index

Forgot to say you can give it either raw or cooked tho as cooking destroys nutrients & vits its better raw
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2005, 09:56 AM
i give indie a cooked dinner every night she gets chicken with a whole mixture of veg : brocolli, carrots, cabbage, sprouts, cauliflower, she also gets apples and bananas. She loves it
Altho she does pick out the cabbage and chuck it on the floor next to her bowl! lol.

as christine says if its raw u need to liquidise it, if its cooked u can feed it how it is. I dont give indie cooked potato, cos im not sure if shes allowed it as i hear they r bad for them?
TamT
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-10-2005, 10:04 AM
But dogs are carnivores, isnt it bad to give them vegetables???
Tirnanog
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-10-2005, 10:28 AM
April loved her veg - they are carnivors - but in the wild what prey they ate may have been herbivors - therefore they ate digested ''grasses" etc as a by product
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-10-2005, 10:57 AM
Originally Posted by TamT
But dogs are carnivores, isnt it bad to give them vegetables???
Unlike cats, dogs are not exclusive carnivores. They can, and will, eat a variety of foods including fruit, vegetables, grains, grass, herbs, etc. In the wild canines will consume and relish the gut contents of herbivores. Liquidized, or lightly cooked veg, raw fruit, etc. are beneficial to dogs. Some veg, such as onions, can be toxic, as can an excessive amount of grapes/raisins, but most veg/fruit is fine
otis
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-10-2005, 11:18 AM
Is it ok to give raw carrots though cos otis loves them and they clean his teeth. I know he doesn't get the goodness from them if they are raw, but it's still ok right?
TamT
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-10-2005, 11:49 AM
Thanks all. I have learnt something new, and will start feeding in small quantities
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

28-10-2005, 11:52 AM
Originally Posted by otis
Is it ok to give raw carrots though cos otis loves them and they clean his teeth. I know he doesn't get the goodness from them if they are raw, but it's still ok right?
Yes Otis its perfectly fine Giving raw fruit n veg is the best way to get goodness from them as cooking destroys certain vits & minerals.
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

28-10-2005, 11:54 AM
Originally Posted by TamT
Thanks all. I have learnt something new, and will start feeding in small quantities

Hope your dog enjoys them as much as mine do T/T
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >