Our sister sites
jackiew
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2005, 12:01 PM

Bird Flu

what are your views on this?
are any of you worried?

as you all know we have 35 birds and are very worried now that a case has been confirmed in the uk
even though the bird was in quarratine it is still a very worrying time for us
and we are gonna start bringing our birds inside,to be on the safe side
amts
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2005, 12:15 PM
It is very worrying and now with the case in the UK, it has come terrible close I think.

We have a big bird show here soon and where I ,before this incident, was thinking of going, theres now no way IŽll do that now.
I see no point in taking any chances and will rather be safe than sorry.

I did a search on the disease and its really alarming and worrying what it can do to humans and animals. I know we shouldnt panic and I dont, but hope everyone thinks about this and are taking their percussions.
jackiew
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2005, 12:23 PM
no amts i would avoid any bird shows for the time being
i heard that the parrot that died was one of over 300 that had to be culled
and someone on another site said these birds were heading for one of the biggest bird shows in the uk
that would have been awful if these birds had reached there

my parrot holiday boarding has had to be put on hold too as i can,t risk any bird coming into my home and risking my own birds
so we are really affected here
Natasha
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2005, 12:24 PM
It is a worry to all bird keepers, expecially for you Jackie as you keep so many. I think people need to realise the risk and act on this. As the saying goes better to be safe then sorry
I just hope they can get it under control
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2005, 12:29 PM
I heard that on the news too Jackie (about the 300 culled birds).

it's such a shame, and I hope it doesn't get any worse
Dinahsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2005, 01:14 PM
Doesn't it seem odd that we are still importing from Asia?
Also, these large 'bird auctions' don't sound the best idea.

That said, I'm sure yours will be OK Jackie. It's difficult keeping everything in balance isn't it - i think the media is going way OTT at the moment but on the other hand we do need to be aware.

You'll be fine Jackie - can't think there will be anyone taking more care of their feathered babies.
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2005, 01:29 PM
hmmm... good luck jackie.
I know it said in the irish papers that they were going to try to cull a vast majority of the wild birds poor things - I know in my local forest I have had the great privelidge and luck to catch sight of Hoopoes twice! I know they are rare visitors - it would be terrible to cull them (as it ould any of the wold birds - or pet ones).

It's very worrying what it can do to people though - however I won't panic!

xx
amts
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2005, 03:39 PM
Originally Posted by Dinahsmum
You'll be fine Jackie - can't think there will be anyone taking more care of their feathered babies.
Sad part is, despite your hard work and no matter how careful you are, someone who isnt can kill your birds

That being neighbours, guests or even ppl you thought should know better (authorities). And thats upsetting
PurpleJackdaw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2005, 06:52 PM
I have a large amount of birds too and am very worried about them
I have heard of people getting rid of their birds because neighbours are scared they will catch bird flu from them ,the press is getting everyone paranoid
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2005, 07:07 PM
I think we should stop all imports of birds immediately. I could not believe that the culled parrot was part of a consignment of birds from Thailand,as that is where this flu started isn't it! Why can't we just stop all imports? We can't stop the wild birds from arriving here I know, but I really think it would help our case if we just stopped these imports in the first instance.

I am sorry for you all who have the worry of your birds getting infected, and I hope when you do everything right, i.e. bringing them indoors, they will be safe from it.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >