Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tracey381
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-10-2005, 05:16 PM

crystals

Took puppy to vets as i was a bit conserned (sp) about the way she sat down when wanting a wee,
anyway after 2 days of trying to get a sample (fun) i sent it off, well today the vet rings to say she has crystals in her wee and needs to go on a different (perscribed) diet for 4 weeks, he says she lacks acid in her wee and its that, that breaks down the crystals

does anyone no of a suplement that in the future will help her get more acid she is a dog who wont eat tinned/packet/dry dog food, only raw/cooked meat ive had her and her sister on the BARF diet since ive had them.

ANY IDEAS ANYONE
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

06-10-2005, 05:37 PM
Hi there are different types of crystals did your vet tell what kind? It could be struvites as these are more common in young dogs.

A very good link below about them also gives advice on type of acidic foods & supps to give

http://b-naturals.com/Dec2002.php
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2005, 05:48 PM
Good link Christine!

I would guess struvite crystals too and its probably a one off in a puppy. There are natural things you can give to reduce the liklihood of it re-occuring like Cranberry juice for example.
Dawn.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-10-2005, 06:19 PM
Hi Tracy some breeds are more prone to this conditon than others and it would seem some dogs do not metabolise their food as well as others too ..perhaps they lack certain minerals ...do you feed any veg with the Barf diet ..I think a balance diet is important because certain foods/minerals are needed to break down the content of others . This is a little link to add to the one Christine gave, it explaines about PH of Urine quite well ..
click here
Louie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2005, 11:00 AM
My boy 'Alfie' suffered from Struvite crystals and wouldn,t eat the complete veterinary diet either, so i tried this recipe http://www.naturalcanine.com/html/recipes_1.html
Alfie's crystals cleared up really quickly feeding him on this, i stopped adding the flax oil though, as Alfie got diarrhoea using it
Tracey381
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-10-2005, 09:41 PM
Thanks guys
got some dry food today, from the vet he says she can only have that, nothing else, not even a treat but i really cant see her eating it, i will have a look on all the links you sent me and see if i can do it another way.
Minihaha, i do try to give veg to them some time they eat it some times they play with it !!! they love fruit tho' (they have eaten 2 fruit bowls in the last 2 months with the fruit in it)