Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Linda57
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-10-2005, 03:34 AM

Fireworks

Has anybody had any fireworks going off around them yet? We have had a few, Tess was still very jumpy.

I had hoped there were less this year.

Love Linda

(any advice for the 'big night(s)' would be gratefully received.
chelsea
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2005, 04:18 AM
Yes we have and i think it is bad they you stop selling them in the shops and should only have fireworks displays. One of my dogs gets really worried when he hears them i go out in the garden with him when he goes out for a wee.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-10-2005, 06:43 AM
Some people with noise sensitive dogs have found that the de-sensitizing CD 'Crash, Bang, Wallop' has helped.

You can try to associate the noise with an alternative, pleasant experience such as playing a favourite game.

Close windows, curtains and doors. Turn up the TV or radio to block some of the sound.

If the above do not work then do not reassure your dog if he/she shows fear. Do not comfort by petting or talking in a sympathetic tone as this is rewarding the nervousness and will simply reinforce the dog's feeling that there is something to be scared of. Just speak normally and ignore any fearful behaviour. If your dog seeks a 'den' (under furniture, behind doors, etc.) leave him/her alone as this is where the dog will feel most secure.

If the problem is severe, and de-sensitizing is not working, then you can obtain tranquillizers from your vet.

Fireworks
Katrina342
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-10-2005, 07:23 AM
I used to dread this time of year but with Daisy's deafness (sadly) its no longer a real problem in my house. Poppy doesn't bother at all. I used to leave the radio/tv on in each room if I went out and shut all the curtains. If Daisy ran to hide I'd try to coax her out and reassure her. Not sure if that was right or best to leave her in her 'safe place' really...

On another note, why do people still leave horses out tethered during this time of year? I was really annoyed when I drove past a tethered horse last year on my way back from work on bonfire night. I knew it would be out all night and drove past a couple of times later in the evening to check on it.
Katrina342
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-10-2005, 07:26 AM
[I][QUOTE=Shadowboxer]Some people with noise sensitive dogs have found that the de-sensitizing CD 'Crash, Bang, Wallop' has helped.

If the above do not work then do not reassure your dog if he/she shows fear. Do not comfort by petting or talking in a sympathetic tone as this is rewarding the nervousness and will simply reinforce the dog's feeling that there is something to be scared of. Just speak normally and ignore any fearful behaviour. If your dog seeks a 'den' (under furniture, behind doors, etc.) leave him/her alone as this is where the dog will feel most secure
.[/I]

Just read your entry Shadowboxer. Wish I'd known that back then!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2005, 07:39 AM
My 9 y/o JSI is nervous of fireworks. I just ignore her, but I have to say, it's not easy !
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

02-10-2005, 08:16 AM
It is so very hard not to give in to instinct and comfort them when they are afraid, but it really is the best thing to do Just grit your teeth and be cheerful for them.
Linda57
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-10-2005, 08:43 AM
Thank you for all the advice, I take Tess into the bedroom, and have the TV on VERY loud (sorry neighbours). and she hides under the duvet.

She goes into panic mode though, and wont be still - she tends to charge around the room a bit - so I find myself having to sooth her I'm afraid.

The CD with firework noises might work though - I will try that - thanks
Linda
Carole
Supervisor

02-10-2005, 09:14 AM
It has been quiet around here so far Star loves fireworks, she sits at the window and watches for hours but Im not sure how Finn will react yet. Ive got a link somewhere to a website with firework sounds so I will need to try it out
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

02-10-2005, 09:17 AM
Try not to soothe her Linda. I know it is very hard Can you distract her from her dashing around with a stuffed Kong or some equally tempting chewy treat? She has the doona as a 'safe place' which is good. When she ducks under there just leave her alone. Try singing a song, or reading aloud. You will feel very silly but the sound of your 'normal' voice may give her a bit of confidence that, as you are not worried, then nothing dreadful is going to happen to her.

Horrid things fireworks
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >