Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-03-2023, 12:59 AM

our local telephone service

Our Bt contract is ending at the end of next month so looking around for another provider. The reason being although the exchange has been equiped for fibre optic service but only so far to private companies. BT have no plans in the near future to provide the fibre optic service out to the customer, ie to cabinet or home in our area.
private companies have already done so and ready to connect up so thinking of accepting an offer from a private company tomorrow as that is when the plan of theirs expires ,price wise That is.
BT can only offer a download speed of about 35mbps and upload of 5mbps. also free antime landline calls. price leap next month as well.

the private compny offer is 100 mbps up and down and at a cheaper rate than BT , also in the package free landline and to mobile as well . this is fast enough for what we need…

Although I worked for BT for well over 20 years , now I think they are lagging far behind with new technology and not surprised private companies are moving in, our neighbour 3 doors away has already change over.
To be honest I get the feeling BT now is really interested in big companies and not the home owner. Around here I have seen at least 3 if not 4 private companies pulling their own fibre cables through the BT ducts under the pavement which says a lot.
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-03-2023, 09:53 AM
Today Sue and I have decided to switch from BT to a private company. Our landline contact ends this april and our broadband next year. Ok we have to pay a penality for early cancellation of broadband which is quite a bit, BUT.
The private company has offered us a free one year broadband connection which more than covers the BT payment.
BT cannot provide fibre optic to our home but the private company can as they have installed the private equipment in our exchange. Not only that but fibre optic cable right up to our nearest telephone footbox.
the also offer far more for a small additional fee including free calls to mobile phones and landlines. Also the broadband package we are going for is a lot faster than BT can offer.
BT are loosing out in a big way around here as severel private companies have already gor fibre optic cable in place, BT cannot even provide a date to do the same.
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2023, 11:17 AM
We are with Plusnet..... which is actually BT!!! Cheaper and better customer service.
Dad worked for bt as an engineer for 30 years then went to several different small companies, I had to call an engineer out and we told them what the issue was, we put a message on to say we were aware that the line was faulty, once fixed, the engineer should remove the code....he kept telling me there was obviously a fault in my house and he had to come out and it would cost me £200, I called my dad and he told me to put this code in on the phone, fixed it, told the engineer to call my number again, he was very confused lol.