Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tirnanog
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-10-2005, 11:02 AM

Sad

Does anyone on the forum suffer from 'Seasonal Affective Disorder' and if so have you bought a 'lamp' and do you find it effective - Are they worth investing in
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-10-2005, 11:27 AM
I have heard that lamps/artificial daylight can be effective, but no personal experience with SAD. Have you researched the possible benefits on the net?
jake
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2005, 11:36 AM
I don't suffer from SAD however I have battled severe depression for the last 8 years or so. I have a lamp at home and I have definatley noticed a difference since using it. A lot of hospitals now offer light therapy treatment so have a word with your GP it's definatley worth a try.
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

01-10-2005, 11:46 AM
Can you get a check on your Vit D count? I love the sun too and I had a test that showed I was low on Vit D. Chances are you might be too?

I have heard those lamps work but have not tried them myself.

Hope you feel better soon *hug*

(*hugs* for Jake too!)
Emm
Dogsey Veteran

01-10-2005, 12:10 PM
I dont suffer from SAD but have heard of really good things about using the lamps - is it possible to rent one of the lamps to try them out and see if it works for you before investing in one? maybe you could ask your GP if they know if its possible
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2005, 12:21 PM
Hi

I do, I do, I do.....

I have just gotten a light bulb.. (my stepsisters mum had one, she had only used 2 times) I couldnt afford the entire lamp.

I've only used it for 2 days, so dont know if it works yet.

But I know medications doesnt.. Atleast not on me...

I think I might combine it with vitamin D...

I dont get depressed as such.. I just get very tired, and could sleep all day if given the chance.. And I get aggressive Havent reacted upon it yet... But its gotten worse for every year.. And its over every little tiny silly thing..

Someone on the trainstation just throwing the rest of their cigarette on the ground without stepping on it.. so its smoking there... A person clapping the newspaper against their palm or side of the leg.. Tapping their feet... Not collecting their dog's poo when walking it on a lawn, where kids run... (that annoys me all year round, but at this time of the year, it can really get me going)

I tend to snap at people I know... But havent reacted to strangers yet, other than a lifted eyebrow and a sound..

I scare myself sometimes actually
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2005, 07:18 AM
Sorry that you suffer from SAD, I don't really know much about the disorder or any feedback on the lamps.

I tend to agree with Azz to ensure you are getting the right amount of minerals and vitamins with good fruit and veg.

Hope you get the answers you are looking for soon.

xi
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2005, 09:09 AM
I found hard exercise to be a very effective way of dealing with depression...
Tirnanog
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-10-2005, 11:03 AM
Hi all
I have suffered from SAD for many years but at the moment due to other health problems and being confined to the house I cannot face the winter without doing something. Shadowboxer I am in the process of researching the net. Jake I know what severe depression is like I can empathise with you – interesting to know that a lamp helps. I also gather form the net that you can rent a lamp – and that may be worth following up. When I looked yesterday I did notice many second hand lamps for sale – made me wonder how effective they are?

Bellaluna can you keep in touch and let me know how you get on - why did your relative not use it? Like you I don’t get depressed as such just lethargic and seriously brain dead from Nov – March. Not very good as I am in college doing a PhD and I find it really difficult to read without falling asleep. I have to fight the desire to go to bed and hibernate which is what my body wants to do – April helped because I had to go out for at least 11/2 hrs a day walking her.

Tuti – I agree with you exercise releases the endorphins in the brain – but some of us cannot do hard exercise – I have suffered from arthritis since I was 35 and I am now 63 on my second lot of hip replacements and as I dislocated the last one 8 weeks ago I am in a metal abduction frame until next year so I can hardly walk at the moment – that is why I cannot get a dog just yet. I would give the world to be able to exercise and swim like I used to. Many thanks all of you.
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2005, 11:07 AM
Hi Tirna I am in the same position unfortunately I injured my knee a year and a half ago and haven't been able to do proper exercise since then So it's just gentle walking until I get better... That's why I'm dreading this winter. I'm already having problems at uni and I've only been back for a week... know what you mean about being brain dead

Let us know how you get on... Maybe I will try one of these lamps...
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >