Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Brownies
New Member!
Female 

30-06-2015, 05:51 AM

Little patches of missing fur.

My dog, Bullet, has recently had little tiny patches of missing fur on his legs. It's on his front legs. It's near where an elbow would be(?) He's been outside recently. There's only two patches of missing fur, they're tiny but it worries me bc of the hair loss. Can anyone identify what this is and what I should do? Thanks in advance!
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2015, 07:00 AM
When you say he has been outside recently do you mean for just a walk around or for longer laying down on hard ground?
Brownies
New Member!
Female 

30-06-2015, 07:03 AM
Originally Posted by brenda1 View Post
When you say he has been outside recently do you mean for just a walk around or for longer laying down on hard ground?
It's only really in my back yard, he gets walks but never lays down. There's no rocks in my backyard where he plays, just grass and dirt really.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2015, 07:10 AM
A photograph would really help. My previous dog had rough, hairless patches on his elbows from laying on the ground a lot. They were small at first but as he got older, got larger. With my dogs now, to prevent this I keep them from laying outside for extended periods of time.
Brownies
New Member!
Female 

30-06-2015, 07:14 AM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
A photograph would really help. My previous dog had rough, hairless patches on his elbows from laying on the ground a lot. They were small at first but as he got older, got larger. With my dogs now, to prevent this I keep them from laying outside for extended periods of time.
I'll post one tomorrow morning as it is 3:14 am here. But I will upload one soon. Thank you
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-06-2015, 07:58 AM
Originally Posted by Brownies View Post
My dog, Bullet, has recently had little tiny patches of missing fur on his legs. It's on his front legs. It's near where an elbow would be(?) He's been outside recently. There's only two patches of missing fur, they're tiny but it worries me bc of the hair loss. Can anyone identify what this is and what I should do? Thanks in advance!
You need to see a vet to get a diagnosis, we can only come up with suggestions, but hair loss can be due to a number of things, from ringworm to allergy or hormonal, or even an underline symptom of something more serious.

All of which will need some form of medication, so the best thing to do is seek vets advice.
Brownies
New Member!
Female 

30-06-2015, 05:23 PM
Originally Posted by Jackie View Post
You need to see a vet to get a diagnosis, we can only come up with suggestions, but hair loss can be due to a number of things, from ringworm to allergy or hormonal, or even an underline symptom of something more serious.

All of which will need some form of medication, so the best thing to do is seek vets advice.
I will do that. I just wanted to get suggestions in there to get advice and suggestions. Thank you.
SusieL
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-07-2015, 09:47 AM
If it's his 'elbows' I'd think it was from lying on hard surfaces which is the usual cause, especially with thin coated dogs like greyhounds.