Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-06-2015, 12:06 PM

Potatos in ears..

thats what I tell him he is trying to grow

The boy will flick his head now and then and have a scratch at his lugs and REALLY loudly enjoys it when you rub them.

The vet has looked at them a few weeks back when he went for a blood draw and said they are clean as whistle outside but he has a little ball of wax/hair just inside (the bit you cant get to) they said if it really bothers him then they will knock him out and flush them.

Ive been using a shop bought ear wax cleaner (as its not infected) and canaural cleaner. To be fair I havent used it religiously, it seem to draw out a tiny bit of muck but nothing of any significance

Hes been under GA twice this year already between MRIs and Op on his neck so am not keen to put him under again 'just' for an ear flush.

Hes not at them all the time but it does annoy him sometimes.

Would Thornit help? Or any other suggestions? He happily lets me have a good dig around (if he gets to lick my finger afterwards of course )
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2015, 01:49 PM
Thornit will only bung them up even moe. I use Otodex for dogs. It works really well for my hairy collie..
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

26-06-2015, 05:17 PM
I use Thornit for Dillon and it works well you are not meant to put it into the ear canal just rub a small amount on the rim of the ear just inside then rub the ears.
I have to do it when Gorden's home though as it the smell is medicated and Dillon hates it so its harness and lead for a walk and corral him in the hall
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2015, 05:21 PM
Thornit kills ear mites whereas otodex loosens wax and kills mites.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

26-06-2015, 05:29 PM
I have always used it for wax with Dillon and it does help. I always thought it was for both.
I also clean round his ears with colloidal silver.
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-06-2015, 11:28 PM
I use Cleanaural regularly for sweaty Beagle ears, and switch to Otodex if I think there might be more of a problem, (caked wax etc.). I have heard very good reports for Thornit, but can't see how a powder can float up wax deposits, so haven't tried it myself.
Sue L
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2015, 07:55 AM
I have always used Cleanaural and its worked well for me. Good rub round and a wipe with some tissue
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2015, 08:08 AM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
I have always used it for wax with Dillon and it does help. I always thought it was for both.
I also clean round his ears with colloidal silver.
Same here and none of my Beardies have ever had ear problems. Thornit also gives grip to pluck hair from ears.

Love colloidal silver use it on me and the dogs and cats