View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mom24dogs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-06-2015, 06:30 PM

Allergies? Scratching mouth till it bleeds.

My dog has been scratching at his outer mouth a lot. So much that it's all scabby and has that clear oozy stuff. Anyone else's dog had problem? What was it from? I only want to take him to the vet if absolutely necessary. He is fear aggressive to everyone but us. He would have to wear a muzzle which would cover the part of his mouth that needs looked at. So I'm hoping to figure this out.

I would post a picture but I can't figure out how without making it a link. Idk where to upload it to make a link.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

24-06-2015, 06:34 PM
Maybe they could sedate him to take a look. Sounds like it could need a professional opinion.
Do you know if he has eaten anything plant wise that has irritated him or an insect or animal maybe ?
I suppose you could try an antihistamine first and see if that helps the irritation which would then allow it to heal but you will have to keep an eye on it and make sure it isn't or doesn't get infected.
How long has he been scratching at it ?
mom24dogs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-06-2015, 06:44 PM
He has been doing this for a good while. It comes and goes. Sometimes he scratches at it a lot and it looks bad, like it currently does, and sometimes he only scratches a little bit. We recently moved and I was hoping that whatever was bothering him there wouldn't be here, but it's the same. I have tried Benadryl before but it didn't seem to help. I also tried switching his food. I tried coconut oil in his food. Nothing seems to help.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

24-06-2015, 07:04 PM
I think then you are going to have to bite the bullet and discuss with the vet having him sedated and get the vet to take a look and prescribe something that will hopefully help him and also to rule out the possibility of anything more sinister.
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-06-2015, 09:42 PM
Is he on dry food? You can get food mites and its suggested that freezing the food kills them off. Or perhaps try wiping his face after eating
mom24dogs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-06-2015, 02:33 AM
Yes, dry food. I was thinking it could be food related and I switched foods a few times and nothing changed. Also, the inside of his mouth isnt effected. The inside looks fine and normal. Its just the outside. I have 2 other dogs and neither one of them have this problem. [IMG][/IMG]
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

25-06-2015, 06:32 AM
Ouch that looks sore for him.
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-06-2015, 10:56 AM
oh poor thing.

I agree about discussing this with a vet. They can give a light sedative so examination wont be so much of a problem.
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-06-2015, 11:43 AM
how often does he wear his muzzle? do you regularly use an antibacterial cleaner to clean it? it could be harbouring bugs that keep reinfecting it?

Just trying to think of other possible causes, cant see the pic right now and will look when i get home
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2015, 01:36 PM
Have a word with your vet to see if you can send him the photos. It may be that he can make suggestions based on those, or tell you if you need to take him in.

I've found that most vets are appreciative of the problems of aggressive dogs and are willing to help in any way they can
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >